R. Mark Halligan
T: (312) 607-0102
M: (630) 200-0701
Chicago OfficePractice Areas:
- Antitrust Counseling
- Intellectual Property
- Internet E-Commerce
- Litigation – Appellate
- Litigation – Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- Privacy & Data Security
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fed. Circuit
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
- U.S. District Court, E.D.Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Ohio
- U.S. District Court, S.D. Ohio
- U.S. District Court, N.D. California
- Northwestern University School of Law J.D., 1978, Article Editor, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
- University of Cincinnati, B.A. Political Science, 1975, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Large Law Firm Experience
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Lovells LLP
- Squire Sanders & Dempsey
Mr. Halligan is an accomplished trial lawyer who focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and complex commercial litigation, including antitrust and licensing issues.
Mr. Halligan has successfully represented both individuals and corporations as plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts throughout the United States and Mr. Halligan is recognized as a one of the leading lawyers in trade secrets litigation in the United States by Legal 500 and he is recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for his exceptional standing in intellectual property law.
In recent years, Mr. Halligan has been at the forefront of international developments in intellectual property law and he is a recognized thought leader in the ever-growing area of trade secrets law having spoken worldwide to numerous organizations and corporations on the topic.
Managing Intellectual Property has recognized Mr. Halligan as an “IP Star.”
Presentations & Teaching Experience
- Program co-chair and presenter, Patents versus Trade Secrets: The New Calculus in Light of Recent AIA Legislation and Decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court, Law Seminars International seminar on Protecting And Optimizing The Value Of Trade Secrets In The 21st Century. (November 2015)
- Speaker/Panelist, “Trade Secrets and Cybersecurity: Protecting Intellectual Property, Mitigating Loss and Navigating Legal Responses,” Strafford Live CLE Seminars (September 2015)
- Author, Revisited 2015: Protection Of U.S. Trade Secret Assets: Critical Amendments To The Economic Espionage Act Of 1996, lead article in the John Marshall Review Of Intellectual Property Law, 14 J. MARSHALL REV. INTELL. PROP. L. 656 (2015)
- Speaker/Panelist, “Trade Secrets & Data Breaches: What to Do When Your Client Gets Hacked, ” ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Chicago, Illinois (July 30, 2015)
- Speaker, Best Practices for Protecting Trade Secrets in the New Economy, Law Seminars International (LSI), The Gleacher Center (June 18, 2015)
- Speaker/Panelist, Trade Secret vs. Patent Protection After AIA: Making the Choice, Strafford Live CLE Seminars (June 11, 2015)
- Speaker, Computer Law, Intellectual Property, and Privacy (CLIPP) Advisory Council Dinner, Recent Developments in Trade Secret Law: New Federal Legislation & International Developments, Wolters Kluwer, Westin Chicago North Shore Hotel, Wheeling, Illinois (May 31. 2015)
- Speaker/Panelist, “Intersection of Patents and Trade Secrets,” USPTO Symposium on Trade Secret Protection, United States Patent and Trademark Office—Global Intellectual Property Academy (GIPA), Alexandria, Virginia (January 8, 2015).
- Speaker/Panelist, Effectiveness and Value of Trade Secret Protection in Foreign Jurisdictions and Barriers to Protection, USPTO Symposium on Trade Secret Protection, United States Patent and Trademark Office—Global Intellectual Property Academy (GIPA), Alexandria, Virginia (January 8, 2015).
- Speaker, Should Trade Secrets Law be Federalized? A Debate on the Need for a Federal Civil Remedy and Its Interplay with the Uniform Trade Secrets Act, AIPLA Trade Secrets Summit, Intel Corporation, Silicon Valley, California (December 4-5, 2014).
- Speaker, Recent Developments in Trade Secret Law, the American Intellectual Property Law (AIPLA) Annual Meeting, Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, Washington D.C. (October 25, 2014)
- Speaker, Trade Secrets: The New Best Choice for IP Protection? American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Webinar (October 1, 2014)
- Speaker, Protecting Trade Secrets in Asia and the United States: Challenges, Opportunities and Future Directions—An International Conference, John Marshall Law School, Chicago (September 18, 2014)
- Speaker, Current Developments in Trade Secret Law, Association of Corporate Patent Counsel (ACPC) , Chicago Conrad Hotel (June 24, 2014)
- Speaker, Intellectual Property Supreme Court Review panel: Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank case, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Electronic and Computer Law Committee (ECLC), Chicago Kent Law School (June 17, 2014)
- Moderator/Panelist, Trade Secret Management and Monetization Conference, The Rembrandt Hotel, London UK (June 14-15, 2014)
- Speaker, Trade Secret and Patent Protection After AIA: Making the Choice, Strafford Live CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois (March 26, 2014).
- Speaker, Intellectual Property Rights in Licensing; 5 Keys for Negotiating Business Contracts, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ILCLE), Palatine, Illinois (March 21, 2014).
- Speaker, Trade Secret Trends Impacting the Insurance Industry, Nixon Peabody LLP Webinar, Nixon Peabody LLP Webinar, Chicago, Illinois and San Francisco, California (March 18, 2014).
- Speaker, Your Most Valuable IP Assets Could Be Secret: Maximizing the Value of Trade Secrets in 2014, Stout Risius Ross, Inc./Nixon Peabody LLP Webinar Chicago, Illinois (March 11, 2014).
- Speaker, Recent Developments in Trade Secrets Law, 58th Annual Conference on Developments in Trade Secrets Law, John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois (February 28, 2014).
- Moderator/Speaker, Best Practices for Protecting Trade Secrets: Telebriefing with Daniel P. Westman and Victoria A. Cundiff, Law Seminars International (February 6, 2014)
- Speaker, The 2014 IPLAC 24th Annual Trade Secrets Seminar, The John Marshall Law School, “Recent Developments in Trade Secrets Law” (January 16, 2014).
- Professor, Adjunct Faculty, Advanced Trade Secrets Law, L.L.M. Program in Intellectual Property Law, John Marshall Law School (1995-2014)
- Counsel of Record for Amici Curiae Association Internationale pour la Protection De La Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI) and International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI-US), Alice Corporation Pty., Ltd. v. CLS Bank International and CLS Services Ltd., Supreme Court of the United States, Case No. 13-298 (2014).
- Counsel of Record for Amici Curiae Association Internationale pour la Protection De La Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI) and International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI-US), Bilski v. Doll, Supreme Court of the United States, Case No. 08-964 (2009-2010).
- Reflections On The Goldman IP Theft Saga, Law360, New York (July 17, 2015)
- General Editor, R. Mark Halligan, Esq.: Intellectual Property Law Handbook, 2013 Edition, Illinois Institute For Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) (2005-2013).
- James T. Berger and R. Mark Halligan, Trademark Surveys: A Litigator’s Guide, Matthew Bender (2nd Ed. 2015) [PDF]
- R. Mark Halligan and Richard F. Weyand, Trade Secret Asset Management: An Executive’s Guide to Information Asset Management, Thompson Reuters (2006).