T: (239) 699-8071
- Cannabis, Hemp & CBD Practice Group
- Compliance Counseling
- Benefits & Exec Comp
- Health and Pharmacy Law
- Widener University School of Law, JD, 2000
- Widener University, BA, 1996
- Chestnut Hill College, MS in Counseling Psychology, 2000
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Assistant Counsel
- Lee Health, Vice President, Legal Services & Corporate Responsibility
- Orlando Health, Corporate Director & Managing Attorney Physician Contracting
- City of Fort Myers, Assistant Administrative Attorney
- Radiology Regional Center, General Counsel & Human Resources Director
Cathy Kahle is a healthcare attorney and executive with extensive in-house legal experience and a solid background in regulatory compliance matters and labor and employment law. As an experienced in-house attorney, she is able to help her clients navigate the complex landscape of clinical, business and legal objectives.
Cathy represents a wide range of health care industry clients, including hospitals and health systems, physician practice groups, individual physicians, and post-acute providers. Cathy advises clients on federal and state regulatory matters, such as anti-kickback, self-referral laws, false claims and reimbursement. Cathy has experience defending and preventing against government actions and conducting internal investigations to identify areas of risk and ensure compliance. Cathy also provides counsel on developing and implementing effective compliance programs and structuring and managing in-house legal departments.
In addition to her healthcare experience, Cathy also has extensive experience counseling clients in all aspects of employment law including drafting and negotiating employment agreements, employee handbooks and human resources policies, advising on disciplinary and termination procedures, internal investigations, and disability and accommodation issues and conducting management training on discrimination and harassment. Cathy also provides guidance on employee benefits and executive compensation matters.
Representative Transactions Include
- Served as senior labor and employment counsel and provided guidance on employment policies, procedures and practices to ensure compliance with state and federal employment laws. Counseled and trained senior executives and human resources personnel on a variety of labor and employment topics including public employment law, Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, sexual harassment, union avoidance and unfair labor practices, corrective action, employee grievances, drug testing, workers’ compensation, unemployment, compensation and benefits, and IRS regulations. Oversaw the investigation of charges of discrimination filed with the EEOC and preparation of responses and position statements. Drafted and reviewed employment and compensation agreements, separation agreements, policies and procedures, and employee handbook to ensure compliance with state and federal laws. Drafted and reviewed human resources policies. Reviewed and revised plan documents to ensure accurate administration of employee health plan and employee retirement plans.
- Advised executive leadership on complex healthcare, corporate, medical staff, regulatory, contract, and labor and employment matters. Prepared physician and provider services agreements and other health care transaction documents. Provided legal support to Medical Executive Committee and advised on physician credentialing, peer review, Medical Staff Bylaws, Corrective Action and Fair Hearing process, and National Practitioner Database reporting. Advised administration, health care personnel, and physicians on patient care matters including end-of-life issues, informed consent, capacity/guardianship, and EMTALA.
- Provided broad legal advice and support for operational, clinical and strategic initiatives including designation of Federally Qualified Healthcare Center Look-Alike status, accreditation of a Family Medicine Residency program, development and implementation of a Medical Staff Financial Disclosure Policy, 340B Pharmacy Discount Program, and the development of a Clinical Integration Program.
- Served as a Chief Compliance Officer and oversaw the development, implementation, and management of a large health system’s Compliance Program. Provided guidance on compliance-related activities, identified and analyzed compliance risk and created strategies for risk mitigation. Handled highly sensitive investigations. Developed a variety of legal, compliance and human resources training materials and provided education Board of Directors, management, physicians and employees. Developed compliance and Internal Audit work plans, oversaw broad scope of internal and external audit activity, and successfully oversaw responses to audits and investigations by various governmental agencies including ZPICs and the OIG, as well as private payer audits.
Presentations & Teaching Experience
Served as Adjunct Faculty at Hodges University and developed and instructed online Regulatory Compliance course on the parameters for regulatory compliance and successful approaches to compliance in a variety of industries for professionals in the Master’s Degree in Legal Studies program.