Michael E. Mermall
T: (312) 789-4664
F: (312) 789-4390
Please Direct Mail and Courier Deliveries to:
345 North Canal Street, Suite C202
Chicago, Illinois 60606
- Real Estate
- Washington University School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1986
- The University of Chicago, M.A., 1983
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, B.A., 1982
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Sidley & Austin (now Sidley Austin)
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
Mr. Mermall concentrates his practice on real estate finance and has extensive experience in other aspects of real estate transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, development and leasing of office, industrial, residential and retail properties.
Mr. Mermall’s practice is highlighted by work that includes representation of both lenders and borrowers in commercial real estate transactions, including highly structured finance transactions, loan workouts and deed in lieu of foreclosure arrangements, construction, term and bridge loan transactions, CMBS, permanent, mezzanine and participating loan transactions and other structured real estate finance transactions. He represents owners, users and lending institutions in all aspects of real estate matters. Additionally, Mr. Mermall has experience in the formation of real estate joint ventures, representing investors of preferred and pari passu equity and the formation of private real estate investment funds.
Previously, Mr. Mermall was General Counsel of Wrightwood Capital and Cohen Financial, where he oversaw their legal affairs, including all legal compliance, risk control and corporate governance matters. He was also responsible for managing the legal and closing functions associated with their investment activities.
Prior to joining Cohen Financial and Wrightwood Capital, Mr. Mermall served as the Assistant General Counsel of CMD Realty Investors, Inc., where he was responsible for negotiating and drafting documents relating to real estate development, leasing, acquisitions, financing and asset disposition.
After earning his master’s degree from The University of Chicago, Mr. Mermall graduated from the Washington University School of Law, where he was an editor of the Washington University Law Quarterly and elected to the Order of the Coif.
- A U.S. subsidiary of a publicly traded international financial services company in the structuring, documenting and negotiating of a $165.3 million financing for the construction and equipping of a proton therapy treatment center in San Diego, California;
- An institutional lender in the negotiation and documentation of a deed in lieu of foreclosure transaction relating to a $51 million loan secured by a hotel facility;
- A privately held real estate firm and fund manager in a $129 million financing secured by a multistate portfolio of 14 industrial and office buildings;
- A national provider of real estate debt and equity capital in a $34.7 million financing for the acquisition and development of a 60 acre parcel into a multiphased office and industrial complex; and,
- A national real estate finance and investment company in a $22 million acquisition of a 350,000 square foot industrial building and the assumption of $11.5 million of existing debt.
- February, 2013 – ACI’s 3rd Annual Planning, Building and Operating Successful Proton Therapy Centers Conference; Financing the Development of a Proton Therapy Center
- February, 2012 – ACI’s 2nd Annual Planning, Building and Operating Successful Proton Therapy Centers Conference; Financing the Development of a Proton Therapy Center
- July, 2009 – Real Estate Briefing
- January, 2009 – CLE Roundtable
- April, 2008 – 2008 Midwest Capital Markets Conference