Michael L. Shor
T: (704) 604-4013
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Commercial Transactions
- Financial Services & Lending
- General Corporate
- Intellectual Property
- Internet E-Commerce
- Litigation – Appellate
- Litigation – Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Law & Government Contracts
- Trusts & Estates
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Courts of Appeal, 4th, 5th 7th Circuits
- Federal District Courts in North Carolina, Virginia, New York and Maryland
- U.S. Tax Court
- New York Law School, J.D., cum laude 1986
- University of Maryland School of Social Work; MSW, Cum Laude, 1979
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; B.A., 1972
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP
- Swidler Berlin, LLP.
- David & Hagner (n/k/a Womble Carlyle)
Mr. Shor brings a diverse legal and management experience in commercial litigation, contract negotiation and enforcement, general corporate law, corporate compliance and governance, corporate advocacy, telecommunications and employment. He has appeared in federal and state courts and before federal and state utility commissions throughout the country. He previously served as General Counsel at US LEC Corp., a publicly traded telecommunications provider, and as Director of Litigation at Polypore International, Inc., a publicly traded manufacturer of battery components.
His accomplishments include representing an insurer in several bad faith denial of claim actions in which he obtained a successful verdict in a bench trial in one case and the complete dismissal of all causes of action and claims in the others; representing the owners of a company in Chapter 11 where he settled a dispute with the major creditor, assisted in selling the company’s building and facilitating the company’s reorganization; representing a real estate company in the $5.6 million refinance of one property and the sale of another; representing a tenant/franchisee in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding against Landlord and a dispute with the franchisor, successfully negotiating the termination of both the lease and the franchise agreement; representing a lender in a collection action against the borrower and guarantor, in which he foreclosed on the borrower’s property and negotiated a favorable settlement of the dispute;
His prior law firm experience includes serving as Of Counsel in the litigation and telecommunications departments at Swidler & Berlin in Washington, DC and Of Counsel in the business litigation department at Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough in Charlotte. He earned his Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1986 from New York Law School. While in law school, Mr. Shor was a Notes and Comments editor of the Law Review, was on the Moot Court Executive Board, received the Best Oralist Award at the Niagara Moot Court Competition and was awarded the Order of the Barrister. In 1979, he earned his Masters of Social Work from the University of Maryland at Baltimore. He earned his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1972.
Mr. Shor is one of the founding board members, and was the first President, of the Charlotte Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel. He is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association, the Mecklenburg County Bar Association, the Iredell County Bar Association, the D.C. Bar Association and the Virginia Bar Association.
- “The Care and Feeding of In-House Counsel” an attorney’s guide to developing strong client relationships (May 2011, presented to all first year associates at Nelson Mullins)
- “On Becoming A Litigator”—(September 2010—presented to all incoming first year students at the Charlotte School of Law.