Michael S. Khoury
Direct: (248) 590-2910
Mobile: (248) 921-8266
Fax: (248) 282-0592
6632 Telegraph Rd., #240
Bloomfield Hills MI 48301-3012
- Commercial Transactions
- General Corporate
- Intellectual Property
- Internet ECommerce
- Privacy & Data Security
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- Wayne State University; J.D., 1982
- University of Michigan; B.A. with Honors and Distinction, 1978
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Jaffe, Raitt, Heuer & Weiss, P.C.
- Clark Hill PLC
- Comshare, Inc., Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
- DaimlerChrysler Corporation
Michael is a business lawyer with over 30 years of experience, and focuses his practice on commercial, business and technology matters, software licensing and development agreements, data privacy and security, domestic and international distribution agreements, outsourcing, intellectual property, commercial transactions, general business and corporate law. Michael has been involved in transactions of various sizes and complexity, including representing software and technology companies in the sale of the companies, representing technology and other companies in the commercialization of products and services and acquiring technology and licensing of intellectual property on behalf of users. Michael has been recognized by several groups and publications, including:
- Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2017
- Best Lawyers Information Technology Lawyer of the Year, Detroit, 2017
- Michigan Super Lawyer, 2006-2017
- DBusiness Magazine Top Lawyer, 2009-2017
Michael has been active his entire career with professional and business organizations, including leadership positions in many. Some of his activities and groups with which he participates are:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Chair, Business Law Section (2007-2008)
- Information Technology Law Section: Section Chair (1997-1998)
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Member, State Bar of Michigan Bar Leadership Advisory Committee (2008-2012)
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section (Cyberspace Committee)
- Science and Technology Section (Information Security Committee)
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Infragard Michigan Board of Directors
- Blackstone LaunchPad Venture Coach and Advisor
- Entrepreneurial Initiative of Southeastern Michigan Advisory Board
- Immigrant Entrepreneur Development Program Advisory Board
In addition to teaching in a law school intellectual Property LLM program, some of Michael’s presentations have been:
- The Internet of Things (IofT): Some Things to Know; American Bar Association GP/Solo Section Brown Bag Seminar, September 2015.
- Advising Clients on Data Security, ICLE Online Webinar Summer 2015. Moderator and Speaker.
- Privacy Issues in M&A Transactions (June 2015). Privacy Committee of SBM IT Law Section.
- Drafting Effective Electronic Communication and Privacy Policies (June 2012). Michigan Business Law Institute.
- Michigan Information Technology Institute (September 2010). Topic: The Intersection of Insolvency, IT and IP Laws.
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees (April, 2010; Savannah, GA). Topic: Intellectual Property Under Bankruptcy Code.
- Doing Business in the Middle East, ABA Annual Meeting (Chicago, 2009).
- Advanced Legal Guide to Offshore Outsourcing, American Conference Institute, October 2004. Conference Co-Chair and Speaker. Topic: Due Diligence Strategies Offshoring Arrangements (New York).
- Outsourcing Strategies, Centric Events Group, March 2004. Topic: Contracting for Offshore Outsourcing: Terms and Conditions (Las Vegas).
- The Advanced Guide to Offshore Outsourcing, American Conference Institute, October 2003. Conference Co-Chair and Speaker. Topic: Practical Strategies for Structuring Agreements and Minimizing Legal and Business Risks (New York).
- Advanced Forum on Software Licensing and Distribution, American Conference Institute, May 2003. Topic: ASP and Outsourcing Agreements (San Francisco).
- 14th Annual Winter Leadership Conference, American Bankruptcy Institute, December 5 – December 7, 2002. Topic: Intellectual Property and Intangible Assets: Primer on Identification, Lien Perfection, Licensing & Sales (Tucson).
- 2nd Annual E-Commerce and Technology Law Institute, Michigan ICLE, June 19, 2002. Topic: Strategic Issues in Technology Alliances: Rewards, Risks and Ruin (Ann Arbor, MI).
- Advanced Forum on Software Licensing and Distribution, American Conference Institute, November 29, 2001 – November 30, 2001. Topic: ASP and Outsourcing Agreements (New York).
- 1st Annual E-Commerce and Technology Law Institute, Michigan ICLE, June 13, 2001 Topic: IP Implications in Business Deals Involving Technology (Ann Arbor, MI).
Michael is the co-author of the chapter on “Modification, Assignment and Delegation” for the treatise, Michigan Contract Law. He also publishes a regular column called the Technology Corner in the Michigan Business Law Journal, including the following articles:
- The New US/EU Privacy Shield is Effective! Fall 2016
- Protecting IP and Combating Unfair Trade Through Section 337 Actions, Summer 2016 (with Geoffrey Goodale and Joseph Manak>
- EU Data Privacy Developments, Spring 2016
- The Internet of Things Fall 2015
- D&O Responsibilities for Cybersecurity (Nonprofits) Summer 2015
- IT Project Management: The Danger of Optimism, Summer 2015
- Nonprofit D&O Responsibility for Cybersecurity, Summer 2015
- Cybersecurity—Evolution or Turmoil?, Spring 2015
- What’s in a (Business) Name?, Fall 2014
- Cybersecurity: We Are From the Government—We Want to Help, Spring 2014
- Developing Policies—The Forest and the Trees, Fall 2013
- The Gap Trap and Twisted Pretzels (Ensuring the Continuity of IP License Rights in the Context Of Mergers And Acquisitions), Summer 2013
- Michigan’s Internet Privacy Protection Act, Spring 2013
- Cyberinsurance: Understanding the Risks, Fall 2012; republished in the Information Systems Security Association ISSA Journal July 2013.
- SEC Issues Guidance on Cybersecurity Risks and Disclosure, Summer 2012
- How European Union Changes May Affect American Business, Spring 2012
- Personal Liability Developments Related to Contracts and E-Mail, Summer 2011
- Michigan Identity Theft Protection Act Amendments, Spring 2011
- Technology Escrows: Are They Still Relevant?, Fall 2010
- Supreme Court Clarifies Privacy in the Workplace, Summer 2010
- Insider Threats Redux, Fall 2009
- Changes to HIPAA Privacy and Security Resulting from the HITEC Act, Summer 2009
- Insider Threats to Critical Infrastructures, Spring 2009
- Best Practices in Electronic Contracting, Summer 2008
- Business Continuity Planning, Spring 2008
- I.D. Cards: Security vs. Privacy, Fall 2007
- E-Discovery and the Business Lawyer, Summer 2007
- Michigan’s New Data Breach Notification Act, Spring 2007
- End-of-Life Decisions (For Your Computer Equipment), Summer 2006
- Malware Grows UP: Be Very Afraid!, Fall 2005
- Open Source: What Does It Mean to You?, Summer 2005
- Licensing Watchdogs Get Tough, Spring 2005
- Business in Cyberspace: Ready for Prime Time?, Fall 2004
- Offshore Outsourcing, Part 2, Summer 2004
- Offshore Outsourcing, Part 1, Spring 2004
- A Primer on Information Security: Part 2, Fall 2003
- A Primer on Information Security: Part 1, Summer 2003
- Internet Taxes, UCITA and Other Musings, Winter 2002
- Technology and Business Resources in Michigan, Fall 2002
- Anatomy of Cybersquatting and Domain Name Trademark Actions, Summer 2002
- What’s Hot in Technology Law, Spring 2002