Paul D. Economon, Esq.
D: (703) 896-7657
F: (703) 896-7601
Washington D.C. Office
- Commercial Transactions
- Executive Compensation
- General Corporate
- Intellectual Property
- Internet E-Commerce
- Securities & Private Equity
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- Washington, D.C.
- Virginia Supreme Court
- District of Columbia, Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of VA
- George Washington University, J.D.
- George Washington University, M.B.A.
- University of Southern California, B.S. (cum laude); Head of Class – Entrepreneur Program
- iMPACT Ventures, LLC (General Counsel)
- LeverPoint, LLC (General Counsel)
- Three Pillar Global (General Counsel)
- PluraPage – a.k.a. OnDiaLog (COO)
- OneSoft Corporation (General Counsel)
- Agari Mediaware (Co-Founder, General Counsel)
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Greenebaum Doll & McDonald PLLC (Of Counsel)
Paul Economon is a corporate, contract, commercial, business transactional and technology attorney with an extensive background in providing both legal and business support to the small to medium enterprise sector, with a strong focus on high technology. He has represented numerous privately-held, public, emerging and established companies by providing them with:
- Corporate formation and governance documentation and assistance
- Capital raising and financing agreements
- Counsel on all manner of commercial negotiations and disputes
- General (in-house counsel) business representation
- Product and services agreements
- Technology and software development and licensing agreements (from enterprise to SaaS)
- Network, systems and facilities security testing and services agreements
- Distribution and reseller agreements
- Website (e-commerce) development and hosting agreements
- On-line heath care sector service provider agreements and policies
- Government prime and subcontracts
- Sales and support agreements
- Employee compensation, equity plans, confidentiality and non-competition arrangements
Mr. Economon has extensive transactional experience with various mergers & acquisitions, asset and stock purchases, corporate and entity reorganizations and recapitalizations, as well as the sale/purchase of securities and other financial facilities, and the accompanying compliance with state and federal securities laws. His experience with venture capital transactions comes from multiple perspectives — from being outside counsel for the company or the investing entity, to being in-house counsel for both at various times, as well as a being the business owner of a venture backed company.
His present and former clients span the spectrum of hi-tech, from various high profile software and enterprise website development companies, to IT security experts and VARs, RFID ventures, online educators, online health care sector service providers, federal contractors, mobile telecomm plays, franchising companies, healthcare innovators, green technology companies, online businesses, as well as venture funds and their portfolios.
Mr. Economon is a member of and the Chief Legal Counsel for iMPACT Ventures Capital Group, LLC, an early stage venture group based in Northern Virginia, and is an equity holder/investor in a number of local start-up entities.
Seeking a broader base of legal experience to draw from for his growing client base, Mr. Economon joined FisherBroyles in October of 2015 from the law firm of Rimon, PC, where he was a partner for four years. Prior to that, he was with the firm he founded in Northern Virginia, Economon & Associates, PC; he was a partner in the D.C. area law firm of Koltun & King, P.C.; Of Counsel with the law firm of Greenebaum Doll & McDonald PLLC; and has held five in-house positions ranging from General Counsel to COO during his professional career.
Representative Transactions Include
- Spin-out of product company from a Virginia based security technology company – Cigital – Link
- Negotiated multiple contracts with the world’s largest financial institutions for security company based in Northern Virginia.
- Merged two software companies into one of the dominate mid-sized international software development companies based out of Northern Virginia — and served as acting GC during the consolidation.
- Assisted with roll-up efforts and acquisitions by publicly traded, D.C. based reverse logistics company, as well as negotiating contracts for the same company with Acer, Amazon.com, ADP, American Standard, AmEx, AmWay, Asuron, AutoZone, Apple Computers, Bank of America, Barnes & Noble, Bell Canada, Best Buy, BJ’s Wholesale, Blockbuster, Coca-Cola, Comcast, Conagra, Dell Computers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Ethan Allen, Exact Target, Ford, Genco, Gladstone, GroupOn, Guitar Center, Harbor Freight, Havertys, HBC, Home Depot, Hudson Bay, J. Jill, Jones Lang, Kenneth Cole, Kohl’s, Kroger, L3, Levi-Strauss, Lowe’s, Microsoft, Office Depot, Overstock.com, PayPal, Petco, Plantronics, Radio Shack, Sam’s Club, Sears, Stanley Tools, Target, Toys “R” Us, Tractor Supply, Wal-Mart, Whirlpool and Winn-Dixie.
- Created, developed, negotiated, merged and helped implement, license agreements, hardware sales, VAR arrangements, teaming agreements, NDAs, partner and channel agreements, project implementation agreements, etc. for a local company that is the developer of a modular array of applications that unlock the power of barcode scanning to positively identify patients and ensure the accuracy of medication administration, specimen collection, blood transfusions, patient charting and viewing, and charge capture — all accessible from one highly portable handheld or tablet device. Large scale licensing negotiations with various hospital entities throughout the country.
- Created, developed, negotiated, merged and helped implement, license agreements, hardware sales, VAR arrangements, teaming agreements, NDAs, partner and channel agreements, project implementation agreements, etc. for Matrics, a Maryland company that pioneered RFID technology – both hardware and software – which was sold to Symbol Technologies for $230 million in cash in 2004. Negotiated with multinational companies on a regular basis (3M, Abbott, Accenture, ADT, Appleton, Boeing, Cadence, CarMax, Checkpoint, Chep, Coca-Cola, Disney, Dodge, EPC Solutions, GE, Global Exchange, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel, International Paper, Johnson & Johnson, Peak, Phillip Morris, Siemens, Symbol, Target, Tesco, Tyco, Walmart), and with large municipal organizations in charge of airport facilities around the world.
- All GC work for local systems security company before it was purchased by American Systems Corporation.
- Was in charge of all contracting, licensing and all manner of commercial negotiations and disputes, and wrote and negotiated licenses and agreements for software, hosting, ASP/ISP and professional services provided by OneSoft Corporation, whose client list included Black & Decker, Alloy Online, Maytag, Phillips Publishing, Lowe’s and WeightWatchers.com. Even negotiated a teaming agreement with Microstrategy. (1998 – 2001)
- Was in charge of all contracting, licensing and all manner of commercial negotiations and disputes, and wrote and negotiated licenses and agreements for software, hosting, ASP/ISP and professional services provided by Etensity whose client list included Marriott International,
- Created, negotiated and implemented enterprise-wide information technology development and services contracts, and licensing agreements with Spielberg’s Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation and Universal Studios in mid-1990s. The project eventually became part of the University of Southern California http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/vhi/
- Created and negotiated a marketing and services arrangement with Universal Studios, Microsoft and DreamWorks in mid-1990s in connection with the launch of Windows 95 and the release of Casper the movie.
- Negotiated enterprise-wide information technology development and services contracts with Marriot International in mid-1990s on a project that pioneered a remote access system for their sales team to their internal CRM system.
- Negotiated use license agreement with Oracle for an early data mining system.
- Negotiated enterprise-wide information technology development and services contracts with the NOAA Artificial Intelligence Lab for a GIS system implementation.
Presentations, Mentor & Teaching Experience
- Mentor — AccelerateDC Venture Mentoring Service (AccelerateDC VMS) — an initiative of the Washington, DC Economic Partnership
- Mentor with DC-I-Corps
- AccelerateDC’s Boost Your Startup: How to Protect Your Intellectual Property – Link
- Active Judge in The George Washington University School of Business’s Business Plan Competition
- George Mason University Business Alliance – Board Member and Committee Member of the Grubstake Breakfast
Community Service and Affiliations
- National Capital Chapter of the Association of Corporate Growth
- Active Adult Leader in Boy Scout Troop 1104 and Cub Scout Pack 1861 of Clifton, VA
- Active member of the High Tech Prayer Breakfast of Northern Virginia – Link
- Active Coach, assistant referee and parent in both travel and recreational youth soccer with local youth sports leagues
- Member of Saint Katherine’s Greek Orthodox Church, Falls Church, VA
- Member of Saint Sophia’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Washington, DC
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Keys to Successful Buy Side M&A Transactions– Published in the Washington Business Journal. [PDF]
- Structuring M&A Representation with Investment Bankers– Published in the ACG National Capital Mergers & Acquisitions 2004 Supplement to the Washington Business Journal. [PDF]
- Effects of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 [PDF]
- Changing Law as to the Enforceability of Non-Compete Agreements [PDF]