Adam K. Whiting is a US patent attorney with a Ph.D. in chemistry and over 20 years experience preparing, prosecuting, licensing, and litigating patents for clients in the chemical and life sciences. Dr. Whiting’s legal career includes over 10 years as a patent agent, associate, and senior associate at the international law firm, Howrey LLP, and nearly 5 years as Senior Director of Intellectual Property at the publicly traded biotechnology company, Codexis. Dr. Whiting’s combination of scientific fluency, big law-firm seasoning, and in-house business IP savvy allow him to provide his clients with the targeted counseling they need to manage IP risk and capture, protect, license, and commercialize their innovations.
Dr. Whiting provides a range of legal services including:
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications, and building portfolios that provide worldwide protection aligned with business needs.
- Performing IP diligence in support of business development and M&A activities, including patentability, validity, freedom-to-operate analyses.
- Drafting and negotiating IP transactions in complex joint-development, gov...
- Corporate Experience
- Presentations & Teaching Experience
- “Intellectual Property Tutorial for Science-Based Startups” – Invited Lecture – Executive Education Program, Haas School of Business, Berkeley (June 28, 2018)
- “Common Intellectual Property Issues Facing Start-Ups” – Invited Panelist – SkyDeck, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship, Haas School of Business, Berkeley (July 1, 2015)
- “IP Tutorial for Biotech Start-Ups” – Invited lecture to start-up accelerator participants – Indie.Bio, San Francisco (April 7, 2015)
- “IP Profanity in a Global Patent Application” – Invited CLE Presentation – Association of Corporate Counsel, Palo Alto (May 20, 2009)
- “Post-KSR Practice Tips: Fighting Gobbledygook to Achieve Nonobviousness” – Invited CLE Presentation – GE Healthcare, Waukesha (Feb. 20, 2008)
- “Understanding The New USPTO Rules On Continuations and Examination of Claims” – Invited CLE Presentation – Office of Technology Licensing, Stanford University, Palo Alto (Oct. 8, 2007)
- “USPTO Update for Litigators: Provisional Rights, Accelerated Exam, and Coming Limits on Continuation Practice” – Invited CLE Presentation – Tuesdays With Howrey, Palo Alto (Nov. 20, 2006)
- “The Role of Patents in the Biotechnology Industry” – Invited Lecture to biotech industry course, Medical School, Stanford University, Palo Alto (Apr. 30, 2002)
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Santa Clara University, J.D., 2003
University of Oregon, Ph.D., Chemistry, 1993
Reed College, B.A., Chemistry, 1986
Prior Law Firm Experience