Ariel advises technology companies on Intellectual Property issues including strategic Patent and Trademark portfolio development, risk assessment (including invalidity, non-infringement, and freedom-to-operate opinions), investment/M&A due diligence, licensing, and IP disputes/litigation.
As a former software developer, Ariel’s technical expertise enables him to work seamlessly with clients across a broad range of technologies including cloud computing, artificial intelligence (‘AI’), machine vision, robotics, cybersecurity, virtualization, Big Data, automotive technologies, Internet of Things (‘IoT’), FinTech + Blockchain, UAVs (‘drones’), CleanTech, and medical devices. As a patent attorney, Ariel has worked closely with numerous Fortune 100 corporations and brings an insider’s perspective to the way major IP portfolios are developed, managed, and leveraged.
In addition to advising industry leaders, a significant portion of Ariel’s practice focuses on startups and mid-size companies. Geographically, Ariel’s client base spans the globe, from Silicon Valley to New York to Europe, Israel, Asia, and beyond. This unique perspective enables Ariel to effectively co...
- Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Automotive Patents – Owners, Technologies, and Investigating for EOU” – presented by The Knowledge Group (November 7, 2018)
- Panelist, Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Cyber Security Panel – “What’s the Law Got to Do with It? Protecting Your Content and Yourself” (July, 2015)
- Panelist, NYC Bar Association/Cardozo Tech Startup Clinic Legal Boot Camp – “Intellectual Property Pitfalls in Trademark, Copyright, and Patent” (July, 2015)
- Presenter, New York Silicon Alley Meetups – “You may not be 007 but your IP is worth protecting as if it was a MI6 database” (March, 2013)
New York Super Lawyers Magazine – ‘Rising Star’ in Intellectual Property (2013 – 2019)
- Selected Publications
- Did Microsoft Really Just “Open Source All Its Patents”?? (October 13, 2018)
- 4 Lessons from the ‘React Patent License’ Controversy (September 25, 2017)
- 3 Points to Consider before Migrating Away from React Because of Facebook’s ‘BSD+ Patent’ License (August 21, 2017)
- Selected Press Mentions
- The Washington Post quotes Ariel Reinitz regarding challenges NFL star Tom Brady may face in attempting to register the “Tom Terrific” trademark. Tom Brady’s Own Comments Put His ‘Tom Terrific’ Trademark Quest on Shaky Legal Ground (June 7, 2019).
- World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR)quotes Ariel Reinitz regarding the USPTO’s response to its massive systems outage. USPTO Creates More Admin for Patent Filers Seeking Outage Refunds (August 30, 2018) (subscription required).
- Law360 quotes Ariel Reinitz regarding procedures the USPTO could implement to alleviate burdens on patent applicants. USPTO Will Waive Or Refund Filing Fees After Systems Outage (August 20, 2018) (subscription required).
- World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR)quotes Ariel Reinitz regarding the costs associated with the USPTO’s systems outage.Lawyers Explain Costly Impact of USPTO Outage(August 20, 2018) (subscription required).
New Jersey (inactive)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, District of Utah
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, JD
Yeshiva University, BA, Computer Science
Prior Law Firm Experience
Lowenstein Sandler, LLP
Schwegman Lundberg & Woessner, PA