Jim Cleary is a registered patent attorney with over 26 years of experience. Jim focuses on patent law, including preparation and prosecution of patent applications, rendering of opinions on infringement and validity, licensing, due diligence investigations, and strategic counseling, with an emphasis on electrical, communications, software, and mechanical technologies, for the medical devices, telecommunications, enterprise software, action sports and apparel industries.
His enterprise software clients have included industry leaders in cloud computing and resource provisioning. His medical industry clients represent a broad array of technologies, from genomic data processing to infection control devices and solutions. Jim has been a trusted advisor for clients developing wireless repeaters and sensors for cellular connectivity and public safety. His action sports and apparel clients have included top players in the surfing, skateboarding, kite surfing, and fitness markets, markets in which he is an active participant as well.
Prior to joining FisherBroyles, Mr. Cleary was a partner in an AmLaw 100 firm in San Diego. Before his legal and patent career, Mr. Cleary se...
- Representative Transactions
- Patent prosecution for global patent protection for wave generation technology for Kelly Slater Wave Co.
- Patent prosecution for LifeProof, acquired by Otterbox in 2013
- Patent prosecution for Ivera Medical Corp., acquired by 3M in 2015
- Patent prosecution for Edico Genome, acquired by Illumina, Inc. in 2018
- Corporate Experience
• United States Air Force (USAF)
• USAF Liaison with Northrop Corporation (now Northrop Grumman)
US Patent & Trademark Office
University of California at Davis, J.D., 1997
Chapman University, M.B.A., 1992
United States Air Force Academy, B.S.E.E., 1989
Prior Law Firm Experience
Townsend & Townsend & Crew LLP
Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich LLP
Fish & Richardson PC
Mintz Levin Cohn Ferris Glovsky & Popeo PC
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP