John is a partner in the firm’s New York and New Jersey offices. As a seasoned litigator with over 20 years of experience in New York, New Jersey and many other jurisdictions, he helps his clients navigate through the minefield of litigation using a sensible and pragmatic approach that focuses on resolving a wide variety of disputes in a cost-effective manner. John tailors his strategy to each case based on the unique circumstances and personalities involved in every dispute while also being keenly aware of the often sensitive business relationships between the litigants and their representatives. He often counsels his clients with regard to appropriate internal measures to be implemented so as to avoid litigation in the future.
Over the course of his career, John has been retained as lead counsel in a wide variety of business and commercial disputes in a number of industries including, but not limited to aviation, commercial, financial, interstate cargo, real estate, and insurance. His areas of concentration include airport premises liability, contract/business disputes, property damage, wrongful death, toxic torts, products liability, and professional liability. John ha...
- Corporate Experience
- AIG – Claims Assistant
- New York Life – Class Action Settlement Attorney
- Notable Engagements
- Obtained dismissals and favorable settlement for airlines and airport vendors in several matters involving the application of the Montreal Convention, an international treaty that limits the liability of airline carriers and their contracting agents, one involving the international transportation of a nuclear missile.
- Obtained highly favorable settlement of multimillion dollar commercial contract dispute on behalf of commercial defendant in Pennsylvania federal court involving high volume sales of patented chemicals used in the food treatment industry through mediation, with no outlay of money.
- Obtained highly favorable settlement for airport ground handler following depositions and mediation in New York state court multimillion dollar wrongful death action involving a defective ladder used at airport.
- Successfully opposed large pharmaceutical company’s summary judgment motion on behalf of corporate relocation client in a multimillion dollar commercial contract matter filed in New Jersey state court.
- Obtained numerous dismissals of airport snow contractors in New York and New Jersey, one that was subsequently affirmed on appeal in New York’s Appellate Division, with further appeal denied by the New York Court of Appeals, the state’s highest appellate court.
- Obtained dismissal of New York federal lawsuit for lack of personal jurisdiction based on forum non conveniens obtained in favor of a London Heathrow Airport cleaning contractor.
- Obtained reversal/dismissal on appeal for airport maintenance contractor in multimillion dollar toxic tort action filed in New York state court by airline employee who claimed inhalation injuries caused by diesel fumes.
- Obtained dismissal/stay of California state court wrongful death action obtained in favor of helicopter component manufacturer based on improper venue subsequently upheld on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of multimillion dollar premises liability matter after previous handling attorney failed to vacate default judgment and thereafter successfully resolved legal malpractice lawsuit against said attorney.
- Presentations & Teaching Experience
Guest Speaker on Non-Catastrophic Aviation Claims Panel
ABA Annual Aviation Litigation Seminar – June 2014, New York City
John was a panelist with several other industry experts on the topic of non-catastrophic aviation claims at the American Bar Association’s annual Aviation Litigation Seminar. The full-day program helped participants stay up-to-date on current developments, ethical issues, and new trends in aviation litigation.
Lawline Live CLE Webinar – The FAA, DOT, TSA, and NTSB: What You Need to Know About These Agencies
McKenna Long & Aldridge and Dentons Aviation Roundtable – May 2015 , New York City
John was a guest speaker for a live video taped CLE webinar segment on the legal issues regarding these key federal aviation agencies presented jointly with McKenna Long & Aldridge Senior Counsel Allan Horowitz.
Aviation Ground Handlers: Liabilities, Claims, Insurance and Contracts
Dentons Airline Symposium Webinar Series – October 2016, Tysons Corner
John with other Dentons attorneys gave a live web presentation to hundreds of industry clients on the the special liability risks that impact airport and aircraft ground handlers.
Ground Handlers Panel, Active Shooters Situations at Airports
2017 Dentons Annual Airline Symposium – February 2017, Tysons Corner
John spoke as a guest panelist regarding the unique risks and emergency response measures of airport ground handlers in active shooter situations at airports.
Brooklyn Law School, Juris Doctor, 1995
Binghamton University, Bachelor of Arts in History and Psychology, 1992
Prior Law Firm Experience
McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
Dentons US LLP