Julian Hammar is a partner in the New York and Washington, D.C. offices of FisherBroyles. He focuses his practice on futures, derivatives and commodities, energy regulatory, blockchain and securities matters.
Mr. Hammar is a leading expert on the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank Act). Prior to joining FisherBroyles, Mr. Hammar served as of counsel at Morrison & Foerster and special counsel at Covington, where he counselled a wide range of clients on compliance with Dodd-Frank derivatives regulatory requirements. Before his experience in big law, Mr Hammar was an assistant general counsel at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), Office of the General Counsel, where he drafted regulations to further define key terms including “swap,” “security-based swap” and “security-based swap agreement,” under the Dodd-Frank Act. In addition, he assisted with drafting other Dodd-Frank Act regulations, including the entity definitions (rules to further define such terms as “swap dealer,” “major swap participant” and “eligible contract participant”), commodity options and the Volcker Rule. He was also a member of the CFTC’s legislative d...
- Corporate Experience
Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Assistant General Counsel
- Presentations & Teaching Experience
- Derivatives Update: Recent Developments in the United States and EU, IFLR Webinar, 02/28/2018
- Webinar: Commodity Exchange Act Basics for Lawyers, PLI Webinar, 10/10/2017
- Webinar: Confusion or Clarity? Cross-Border Regulation of Derivatives, IFLR Webinar, 02/22/2017
- Webinar, Cross-Border Derivatives Update, 01/12/2017
- Teleconference, Canadian Derivatives and Financial Services Regulatory Developments, 11/10/2016
- Seminar: Derivatives Regulation Update: Latest U.S. Developments, 10/18/2016
- Index Regulation and Outsourcing Index Administration, Morrison & Foerster and Markit Master Class, 07/28/2016
- Seminar: Energy Trading Compliance & Regulatory Enforcement, American Conference Institute’s 13th National Forum, 05/24/2016-05/25/2016
- Speaker, FIA Law & Compliance 2016 Conference, 38th Annual FIA Law & Compliance Conference on the Regulation of Futures, Derivatives and OTC Products (L&C 2016), 05/04/2016-05/06/2016
- Commodity Exchange Act Basics for Lawyers, New York City Bar, 04/27/2016
- Cross-Border and Recent Developments in Derivatives, IFLR Webinar, 04/19/2016
- Webinar – Derivatives Regulation Update: Latest Developments and What to Expect in 2016, 01/14/2016
- Teleconference – Derivatives: Latest U.S. Regulatory Developments, 11/19/2015
- The Status of the New Proposed Rule on Position Limits and Additional Recent Concerns Relating to Position Limits, American Conference Institute’s 12th National Forum on Energy Trading, Compliance & Regulatory Enforcement, 11/16/2015
- Webinar: Financial Services Regulatory and Enforcement Current Issues, 11/06/2015
- Seminar, U.S. Regulatory Developments Affecting Canadian Banks, 09/22/2015
- Margin Rules for Uncleared Swaps: What You Need to Know in 2015, West LegalEdcenter Webinar, 07/30/2015
- Speaker, Swaps & Derivatives Global Markets Regulation, American Conference Institute, 06/29/2015 – 06/30/2015
- Derivatives and Cross Border Issues, IFLR Webinar, 06/17/2015
- Webinar: Fragmentation or Integration? An Overview of EU and U.S. Financial Regulation Relating to Derivatives and Structured Products, 05/14/2015
- Teleconference, U.S. Legal Considerations for Canadian Banks, 04/28/2015
- Seminar: Uncleared Swaps Margin Proposed Rules, 04/23/2015
- Treatment of Commercial End-Users of Swaps, PLI Webinar, 04/07/2015
- Derivatives Regulatory Update: Have Regulators Reduced Risk to the U.S. Financial System?, GARP Webinar, 03/31/2015
- Morrison & Foerster 5th Annual Financial Services and Regulatory Conference, 03/18/2015
- Derivatives Regulatory Update, PLI Webinar, 03/04/2015
- Margin Rules for Uncleared Swaps: What You Need to Know in 2015, The Knowledge Group Webinar, 01/29/2015
- Webinar: SEC Adopts Final Rules for Cross-Border Security-Based Swap Dealers and Major Security-Based Swap Participants, West LegalEdcenter, 09/03/2014
- Derivatives Regulatory Update, ALI CLE Webcast, 08/12/2014
- Speaker, American Gas Association Legal Forum, 07/14/2014
- Speaker, ACI’s 9th National Forum on Energy Trading Compliance & Regulatory Enforcement, 06/05/2014 – 06/06/2014
- CFTC’s Division of Swap Dealer and Intermediary Oversight (DSIO) Advisory for Non-US Swap Dealers, The Knowledge Group 05/13/2014
- Speaker, FIA: Law & Compliance Conference on the Regulation of Futures, Derivatives, and OTC Products, 04/07/2014 – 04/09/2014
- Speaker, American Conference Institute: Reform and Regulation of Derivative Transactions, 01/14/2014 – 01/15/2014
- Speaker, 8th Annual ACI’s Energy Trading Compliance & Regulatory Enforcement Conference, 11/21/2013 – 11/22/2013
- Client Alert-CFTC Issues Division of Enforcement Annual Report (Jan. 11, 2021)
- “CFTC Adopts Cross-Border Rules to Replace the Cross-Border Guidance,” Futures & Derivatives Law Report, Vol. 40, Issue 11 (December 2020)
- Client Alert-CFTC Issues Final Swaps Reporting Rules (Dec. 7, 2020)
- Client Alert-CFTC Issues Final Position Limit Rules (Nov. 25, 2020)
- Client Alert-U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit Issues Decision Interpreting the Bankruptcy Code’s Section 560 Safe Harbor for Swap Agreements (Aug. 24, 2020)
- Client Alert-CFTC Issues Final Interpretive Guidance regarding the “Actual Delivery” Exception to Retail Commodity Transactions Involving Virtual Currency (July 8, 2020)
- Client Alert-Commodity Futures Trading Commission Issues Final Rule to Prohibit Persons Subject to Statutory Disqualification from Claiming Rule 4.13 Exemptions (June 16, 2020)
- Client Alert-Commodity Futures Trading Commission Issues Three Waves of Relief in Response to COVID-19 (Mar. 30, 2020)
- “SEC Adopts Recordkeeping and Reporting Rules for Security-Based Swaps,” The Review of Securities and Commodities Regulation, Vol. 53, No. 2 (Jan. 29, 2020).
- Ninth Circuit Allows CFTC’s Enforcement Action Against Monex to Move Forward, Futures and Derivatives Law Report, Vol. 39, issue 8 (September 2019).
- Self-Regulatory Organizations and the Constitutional Privilege Against Self-Incrimination, Futures and Derivatives Law Report, Volume 39, Issue 4 (April 2019).
- CFTC Amends Chief Compliance Officer Duties and Annual Report Requirements, Journal of Investment Compliance, Vol. 20 (March 2019).
- Understanding the CFTC’s Proposed Interpretation of “Actual Delivery” for Cryptocurrency Retail Commodity Transactions, Crowdfund Insider (February 2018).
- Qualified Financial Contracts – All In Order, International Financial Law Review (November 2017).
- The SEC’s Long-Awaited Security-Based Swaps Rules May Be Approaching, The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation Vol. 50 No. 7 (April 2017).
- Setting the Scene, International Financial Law Review (September 2016).
- The Federal Reserve’s Proposed Rules for Financial Contracts of Global Systemically Important Banking Organizations and ISDA’s Resolution Stay Jurisdictional Modular Protocol, Futures and Derivatives Law Report, Volume 36, Issue 8 (September 2016).
- Impact of the Volcker Rule on Derivatives Markets, The Review of Banking & Financial Services, Vol. 31, No. 11 (November 2015).
- CFTC and SEC Issue Final Interpretation Regarding Forward Contracts with Embedded Volumetric Optionality, The Journal on the Law of Investment & Risk Management Products, Volume 35, Issue 7 (August 2015).
- Margin for Uncleared Swaps: A Critical Look at the CFTC’s and Prudential Regulators’ Proposals, Derivatives: Financial Products Report, Thomson Reuters/Tax & Accounting (March 2015).
Duke University School of Law, JD, 1996
Yale University, BA, 1990
Duke University, MA, 1996
Prior Law Firm Experience
Morrison & Foerster LLP