I provide executive-level legal counsel to businesses, investors, entrepreneurs, non-profits, and startups, often serving as Chief Legal Counsel of their enterprises. My ultimate goal is to provide actionable, responsive, legal advice that positions clients to achieve their business objectives, and to avoid needless failure. My approach to working with clients is designed to be effective, regardless of their in-house legal capabilities. This approach comes from years of large-firm practice, practical teaching experience, and my own journey as a serial entrepreneur, and it is an approach that makes it flexible for me to serve as acting general counsel, outside counsel supporting an in-house legal team, or on a project basis. In those roles, I typically:
- handle complex litigation, including claims of fraud, embezzlement, commercial torts, copyright and trademark infringement, breach of contract, and sexual harassment;
- advise and represent corporate clients regarding state and federal inquiries on workers’ compensation coverage, worker misclassification issues, wage and hour laws, privacy rights, non-compete agreements, international and domestic trademark and...
- Listed, Top 100 Leading Women Lawyers in New York City, Crain’s New York (2018)
- Listed, Top 25 LGBTQ-owned Business, Washington Business Journal (2017) (prior law practice)
- Ranked #3, Top 10 Black Female Attorneys You Should Know, by Black Enterprise magazine (2016)
- Sample Current Corporate Representation (General Counsel Services)
- Acting General Counsel, Doughnut Plant, Inc. and affiliates
- Chief Legal Counsel, Be The Change Revolutions, LLC dba BTC Revolutions
- Acting General Counsel, LyteWorx Automation Systems, Inc.
- Legal Counsel, The Teknique Group, Inc. and affiliates
- Legal Counsel, 85 Broads Unlimited LLC dba Ellevate Network
- Prior Corporate Experience
- Chief Legal Counsel, CNS Global Advisors
- Chief Legal Counsel, The Strategy Collective LLC dba BLK BOX
- Co-Founder, 100 Percent Beverages, LLC
- Founder, The KETNOI Group, LLC
- Presentations and Teaching Experience
- Visiting Lecturer, Course on Business & Human Rights, Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany
- Inaugural LL.M. Teaching Fellow, Seminar on the Law of Peace & Statebuilding, Fordham University School of Law, New York, USA
- Amicus Briefs
Kiyemba v. Bush, Lead No. 08-5424, United States Supreme Court, as counsel for Amicus Curiae Uyghur American Association (2008).
- Lenore F. Horton, Prosecutorial Discretion Before International Criminal Courts and Perceptions of Justice: How Expanded Prosecutorial Independence Can Increase the Accountability of International Actors, 7(1) Eyes on the ICC (May 2011).
- DOJ Issues New Corporate Prosecution Guidelines, Modifying Approach to Privilege Waivers and Advancement of Legal Fees, SRZ CLIENT ALERT (Dec. 19, 2006) (co-author).
- Pasquantino Inapplicable to Claims by Foreign Governments to Recover Non-US Taxes, WHITE & CASE FINANCIAL SERVICES ADVISORY UPDATE (Dec. 2005) (co-author).
- L. Horton, SEC Revises Policy on Corporate Fines, WHITE & CASE FINANCIAL SERVICES ADVISORY UPDATE (Feb. 2005).
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y.
U.S. District & Bankruptcy Courts, District of Columbia
Howard University School of Law, J.D., merit scholar
Fordham University School of Law, LL.M., magna cum laude, International Law & Justice
Prior Law Firm Experience
White & Case, LLP
Schulte Roth & Zabel, LLP