The 32nd Under Secretary of the US Army and America’s first Iraq War Veteran elected to the US Congress, the Honorable Patrick J. Murphy focuses his practice on Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Emerging Companies, Cybersecurity and Data Privacy, and Litigation. A serial entrepreneur, current Distinguished Chair of Innovation at West Point, and general partner at the Stony Lonesome Group, Secretary Murphy knows what it takes to guide entrepreneurs through the legal and financial challenges of starting and scaling a new business. Additionally, as a Commissioner on the US Cyberspace Solarium Commission, he advises C-Suite leaders on data security and privacy with recent updates to Sarbanes Oxley.
As a former federal and military prosecutor, and litigation partner for two AmLaw 100 firms, Patrick provides counsel on best practices and strategy for the most contentious situations.
Patrick was a constitutional law professor at the United States Military Academy at West Point, but when 9/11 happened, he deployed twice and served with distinction with the 82nd Airborne Division. Later, in Congress, he coauthored landmark legislation to include the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the re...
- Corporate & Military Experience
Philadelphia 76ers and the Harris Blitzer Sports Group, Attorney
US Department of Defense, Attorney
United States Military Academy at West Point, Attorney
Einstein Medical Center, Attorney
Keller Army Community Hospital, General Counsel
- Representative Transactions
- Prosecuted two high-level terrorists, Sheik Moyad and Sheik Tohma, in the Supreme Court of Iraq, the Central Criminal Court.
- Defended the United States of America with $84 million in litigation as Chief of Claims Division, New York, under the Federal Tort Claims Division, including litigation surrounding the 2000 Army Navy game in Philadlephia.
- Prosecuted military and civilians as a Special Assistant US Attorney in the Southern District of New York.
- Presentations and Teaching Experience
- United States Military Academy at West Point, Distinguished Chair of Innovation (2017-current), Board Member (2011-2016), and Assistant Professor (2000-2003).
- University of Chicago, Visiting Fellow (2015).
- Harvard University, Stanford University, and Princeton University, Guest Lecturer (2011-current).
2020 Events include:
- Closing Keynote with Congressman Tim Ryan, Adobe Digital Government Symposium, Washington DC (May 21, 2020)
- National Defense University, Eisenhower Industry Seminar (May 28, 2020)
- West Point – Registration Day (June 29, 2020)
- DOD/VA Suicide Prevention Conference (August 26-28, 2020)
- Washington DC – Military Influencer Conference (September 8-10, 2020)
- NYC – Cerner/No Vet Alone Concert/TV Event (September 11, 2020)
- JP Morgan Chase Vetrepreneur Conference- Nashville (September 17, 2020)
- Cerner Healthcare Conference- Kansas City (October 7-10, 2020)
- ThanksUSA Gala Keynote- Washington DC (October 17, 2020)
- US Chamber Conference/Gala- Washington DC (November 10-11, 2020)
- Army-Navy Game Events- Philadelphia (December 10-12, 2020)
- Author, Taking The Hill: From Philly to Baghdad to the US Congress, Henry Holt (2008)
- Co-Author/Commissioner, US Cyberspace Solarium Report (2020)
- Multiple columns and guest opinions in the Philadelphia Inquirer, Pointer View, Bucks County Courier Times, and Doylestown Intelligencer
- Amicus Briefs
- Obergefell v Hodges, US Supreme Court (2015)
US Supreme Court
Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
Widener University Commonwealth School of Law, Juris Doctorate
King’s College, Bachelor of Science
Graduate of the US Army Judge Advocate General’s School, Charlottesville, VA
Prior Law Firm Experience
Dilworth Paxson, Partner
Fox Rothschild, Partner
Cozen O’Connor, Associate