Peter is a seasoned transactional lawyer with a practice focused on the representation of life science, robotics, technology, venture capital, E-commerce, and other consumer companies.
For almost 15 years, he has effectively represented clients through a variety of corporate and commercial real estate transactions. These transactions include efficient and successful completion of debt and equity offerings, venture capital financings, licensing agreements, employment and consulting agreements, loan and security agreements, and the leasing of retail, office, and laboratory space.
Rapidly growing start-up and emerging technology clients have engaged Peter to serve as “outside general counsel,” and he guides them on corporate governance, corporate finance, financing strategy, and real estate issues.
- Representative corporate transactions include:
- Representing a venture-backed drug development company in connection with a series of debt and equity financings resulting in proceeds in excess of $120 million to the company.
- Negotiating a license and collaboration agreement and distribution agreements for transdermal drug delivery company.
- Guiding early-stage investors in connection with equity investments in several retail and media/web-based companies, with advice on term sheets through execution of primary transaction documents.
- Guiding a start-up company in connection with a $16.5 million Series A financing, including advice on term sheets and primary transaction documents.
- Counseling a venture-backed company in connection with a $30 million Series B financing, including advice on term sheets and primary transaction documents.
- Advising venture-backed companies on various business and corporate matters, including implementation and execution of employee stock option plans and related option agreements, consulting agreements, restricted stock agreements and negotiation and drafting of loan and security agreements.
- Representing successful retail franchise as it expands regionally.
- Representing a Switzerland-based company establishing its subsidiary in the U.S.
- Representative commercial leasing transactions include:
- Counseled a publicly-traded pharmaceutical company with the subleasing of office and laboratory space to an international pharmaceutical company.
- Guided a leading venture capital firm with the leasing of its national headquarters in downtown Boston and an option to lease agreement.
- Represented numerous venture capital firms and venture-backed and closely held companies with the leasing of general office space and laboratory space in Boston, Cambridge and the surrounding area.
- Represented retail tenants in negotiation and drafting of leases for retail space in some of the largest malls and outdoor shopping centers in the New England.
- Presentations & Teaching Experience
- Adjunct Professor – Start-Up and Venture Capital Financing – Suffolk University Law School (Fall 2014)
- Guest lecturer – Business Planning – Suffolk University Law School (2011, 2012, and 2013)
- Panelist – Commercial Leasing – Boston Bar Association (2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014)
Peter J. Cahill
Harvard College, A.B., Government, 1994
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., Cum Laude, 2001
Prior Law Firm Experience
Gadsby Hannah, LLP