Mr. Menzies is a trial experienced commercial litigator who represents clients in a wide range of industries, including real estate, construction, healthcare and financial services. He represents diverse businesses and industries such as land developers, resort and hotel owners, entrepreneurs and start-up companies, real estate and leasing companies, commercial landlords and tenants in matters involving breach of contract, breach of warranty and business tort claims, as well as claims arising out of fraud allegations.
His real estate litigation experience includes the representation of developers, purchasers, title companies and lenders in disputes concerning real estate purchases, property development, commercial landlord-tenant disputes, insurance title claims, easements and boundary disputes, title issues and mortgage fraud. Mr. Menzies has litigated disputes arising out of business entity governance, shareholder actions, corporate dissolution and disputes involving limited liability companies and partnerships. Additionally, he has represented specialty and independent pharmacies in compliance matters and investigations involving False Claims Act, Anti-kickback Statute...
- Industry Experience
- Associations & Charitable/Non-Profit Organizations
- Construction & Building Materials
- Health Care & Pharmacy
- Government & Public Sector
- Professional Services
- Real Estate Development
- AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Named The Best Lawyers in America® Fort Myers Litigation – Construction “Lawyer of the Year” (2013-2016)
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation (2007-2016); Litigation – Construction (2012-2016); Litigation – Municipal (2012-2016); and Litigation – Real Estate (2012-2016)
- Selected as a “Florida Super Lawyer” by Law & Politics magazine (2010-2012)
- Community and Professional Affiliations
- 20th Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission (2000-2004)
- Collier County Bar Association
- Past Director (1988-1990, 2000)
- Trial Lawyers Section, Past President (1990-1991)
- The Florida Bar
- The State Bar of Michigan
- District of Columbia Bar
- Hobbies and Interests
Mr. Menzies studied Early Modern European History in college and still enjoys reading and researching history of all kinds. He has taught a course in Irish history at the Renaissance Academy of Florida Gulf Coast University.
More recently, Mr. Menzies has rekindled his love of brewing fine craft beers. This was a hobby that began in Law School and has been restarted over the last several years. With partner Scott Alexander, they opened Riptide Brewing Company in November 2015, at 987 Third Avenue North, Naples, Florida. The brewery serves a wide selection of craft beers, including Irish Red Ale, Porters, Stouts, Pale Ales, India Pale Ales, Belgian Wheat and Belgian Pale Ales, just to mention of few.
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., 1981
Northern Michigan University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1978
Prior Law Firm Experience
Roetzel & Andress LPA