Rory is regarded as one of the leading technology lawyers in the UK, having led practices at Baker McKenzie and Bird & Bird (where he became a partner at 27).
Rory has acted on several hundred transactions in the UK, US and globally, with a value exceeding US$50 billion, and is described in the professional directories as “leading the pack” and “tough to come up against.”
His practice covers corporate and commercial work, principally in the technology sector, including outsourcing/procurement deals; corporate finance; mergers and acquisitions; and joint ventures and other collaborations. This also involves advice on IP identification and exploitation (including licensing and SaaS) and on data privacy.
Rory’s clients include NYSE-listed tech businesses) and early-stage tech companies, several of which he has taken from inception to exit He has advised on many international deals and has worked on projects in the US, Switzerland, South Africa and Algeria, amongst other countries.
Having been a partner in several US law firms, Rory set up his own firm, Coffey Graham, in 2008, focussing on the tech sector.
Rory is a well-respected commentator o...
- Corporate Experience
Butterfly Software Limited, Gospel Technology Limited and others, Virtual General Counsel
- Representative Transactions
- Genpact: Acquisition of the Openwealth division of Citi and negotiating agreements with Aviva, NFUM et al
- Landmarc: Advising this JV between PAE and Interserve on a £950m defence services procurement with the UK Ministry of Defence
- Qtel (Qatar Telecom): Advising Wataniya (Qtel subsidiary in Algeria) on network management services outsourcing to Ericsson
- WNS Global: Negotiating BPO deal with Total Oil & Gas, including offshoring to South Africa and India
- Walt Disney/EPSN: multi-billion $ mobile telecoms deal between Disney/ESPN and Sprint to set up ESPN Mobile MVNO in the US
- Siemens: Advising on £1bn+ bid to provide rolling stock, depot and maintenance services to Crossrail/the Elizabeth Line, and train signalling and telematics
- Syniverse Technologies: Advising on global data protection compliance in relation to SMS platforms and bulk cross-border mobile traffic via IP
- Butterfly Software: Corporate, commercial, IP and M&A advice leading to share sale to IBM International Group BV
- Canopy Simulations: Corporate restructuring and commercial agreements with F1 and Formula E teams
- McDonalds: Review of major technology services procurement
- UK Department for Work & Pensions: Renegotiation and restructuring of £5bn technology procurement agreement
- H3G (“3”): £1.7bn procurement of managed network services
- St Andrew’s Healthcare: Advising on the replacement of the incumbent outsourced IT provider and negotiating the agreement with the new provider
- Presentations & Teaching Experience
Numerous seminars and workshops, on outsourcing; technology procurement; the legal implications of Blockchain, Machine Learning/AI and quantum computing; data privacy and the GDPR; the legal challenges facing early stage tech companies and in relation to M&A transactions.
FisherBroyles UK LLP (“FisherBroyles UK”) is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC426505, and which practices from 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT. A list of members of FisherBroyles UK is available for inspection at that address. FisherBroyles UK is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with registered number 658162. FisherBroyles UK is connected with its affiliate in the US, FisherBroyles LLP, although they are two separate legal entities. The word “partner” denotes a member of FisherBroyles UK or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications.
FisherBroyles UK opposes all forms of slavery and human trafficking, and is committed to taking steps to ensure that these do not occur in its business or in its supply chains. For further details, see our Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement.
We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. For more details, see our Complaint Handling Procedure.
England & Wales
Chester College of Law, Law Society Finals, 1987
Magdalene College, Cambridge, MA (Cantab) 1986/1990
Prior Law Firm Experience
Bird & Bird
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius