PRIVATE INVESTMENT FUNDS
Our Private Investment Funds team provides a full range of advice to clients in the global private investment funds industry in a range of market sectors and investment strategies. We advise fund sponsors and managers in the formation, operation and regulation of private funds, assessing potential strategic arrangements and investment opportunities, structuring arrangements with service providers, and maintaining compliance with complex local and international regulations.
We counsel institutional investors on structuring their global investment and training programs and represent them on their primary investments, co-investments, and secondary investments.
We represent global buyers and sellers of private fund and portfolio company interests in the secondary market. We also represent institutions in many varied special arrangements, including customized investment funds, separate accounts, joint ventures, seed arrangements, and myriad other structures and products.
Our firm advises managers, investors, investment advisers, brokers, administrators, and custodians on an array of funds, including:
- Hedge funds
- Private equity funds
- Funds of funds
- Secondary funds
- Venture capital funds
- Clean-tech funds
- Infrastructure funds
- Hybrid funds
- Impact (a.k.a. mission-related) funds
- Crypto-focused funds
We work closely with clients to achieve their business objectives on a wide range of complex and innovative matters, including the following:
- Structuring participation by institutional limited partners in both US and international funds
- Designing and structuring creative and tax-efficient management company and employment arrangements
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory limitations on investments in funds by regulated entities, such as banks and insurance companies, and on investments by funds targeting regulated industries
- Minimizing US federal taxes or tax filing obligations for non-US persons
- Ensuring compliance with relevant US laws such as the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Commodity Exchange Act, the Internal Revenue Code, and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), as well as the laws of various international jurisdictions, in consultation with local counsel.