Teresa E. Adams, Esq.
T: (404) 682-0724
F: (404) 793-0769
- General Corporate
- Litigation – Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- Securities & Private Equity
- White Collar Litigation and Investigations
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Northern District of Georgia
- Georgia State University College of Law, J.D., Summa Cum Laude
- University of Tennessee, B.S., Accounting, Summa Cum Laude
Large Law Firm Experience:
- King & Spalding, LLP
- Parker Hudson Rainer & Dobbs, LLP
Teresa’s practice is primarily focused on complex commercial litigation with an emphasis on cases involving fraud, misrepresentation, and accountant liability. She has experience handling cases both defending clients from claims of fraud and misrepresentation as well as assisting clients in seeking damages from those who have defrauded them. Teresa also performs internal investigations for companies when fraud is first suspected working with colleagues from the forensic world to act quickly and effectively to address issues as they arise.
In addition to her law degree, Teresa holds a Certified Public Accounting License and was formerly an auditor, forensic accountant and licensed Certified Fraud Examiner, which makes her uniquely qualified to handle cases involving complex financial and accounting issues. She practiced for over eight years as a CPA – initially with Ernst & Young LLP in their audit department and then with PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP as a forensic accountant and expert witness. Because of her extensive experience in the accounting and financial industry, combined with her legal expertise, Teresa is able to provide her clients with unmatched expertise in cases involving complex financial issues.
Teresa also handles cases involving disputes between owners and partners, such as disputes after a merger or acquisition or arguments over a commercial lease with sales/revenue based payouts. Defense of directors and officers against claims of breach of fiduciary duties, fraud and securities law violations are also areas where Teresa has experience and can provide her clients with superior representation. Teresa has had great success assisting clients in recovery for breach of contract, collections on account, and post-judgment collections.
In addition to the above, Teresa has had great success in representing Bankruptcy Trustees in pursuit of their claims against those suspected of committing fraud against the debtor, receiving fraudulent conveyances from the debtor, providing negligent accounting services to the debtor, and other breach of contract or tort based claims.
Teresa has worked on several high profile White Collar Crime and Criminal Defense cases involving accounting fraud and misrepresentation, parallel SEC/DOJ investigations and other complex litigation engagements. She has also spent a portion of her career representing broker/dealers in their defense of customer claims whether brought in Arbitration under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) or in litigation in Federal or State Courts throughout the United States.
Another area of expertise for Teresa is in reviewing and refining agreements between staffing agencies and their potential clients. She has also defended EEOC charges of discrimination and retaliation along with claims under the Federal Laws regarding wage and hour violations.
Because of her experience over the years, she has a keen understanding of business and its operations. Teresa has experience drafting corporate minutes, board resolutions, articles and other business documentation. When representing a client, she brings all of this to the table – accounting, finance, forensics, auditing, legal, litigation, corporate risk management and more.
Presentations & Teaching Experience
- Presentation to Cobb County Elementary School Students for Career Day 2011: “A Career As an Attorney Today”
- Appointed to serve on Fraud Council of Georgia Society of CPAs (2014-15)
- Secretary, Business and Litigation Section of Cobb County Bar Association
- Instructor, MPCS Mock Trial Team, (2015-16)
- Georgia State Bar Association, Litigation and Business Law Sections
- Atlanta Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Georgia Society of CPAs
- Georgia Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Teresa E. Adams, Co-Author – “Accountant Liability to Third Parties in Georgia” 20 Georgia Bar Journal Vol. 2, October 2014
- Teresa E. Adams, Author – The Engagement Letter – A Great Risk Management Tool With Caution, Current Accounts, April 2015
- Teresa E. Adams, Author – Tacking on Money Laundering Charges to White Collar Crimes: What Did Congress Intend, and What are the Courts Doing? 17 Ga. St. L. Rev. 531 (2000)