Landon Speights, Esq.
Assistant General Counsel and Partner – Litigation
T: (832) 915-2300
F: (832) 915-2301
- Energy/Oil & Gas Law
- Environmental, Health & Safety
- General Corporate
- Litigation – Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- Real Estate
- White Collar Litigation and Investigations
- U.S. District Court
- Northern District, TX
- Southern District, TX
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D. ,2007
- Abilene Christian University; B.A. and B.B.A., Cum Laude with Honors, Business Management and Marketing; Ministry, 2005
- Houston Texans, NFL Franchise
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Burleson LLP
Landon Speights serves as FisherBroyles’ assistant general counsel with responsibility for overseeing the firm’s client relationships, from the initial RFP process through client disengagement. He assists with the negotiation of, and compliance with, engagement letters and outside counsel agreements, as well as client audits and requests for file transfers. Mr. Speights is responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of internal procedures related to risk management, ethics and compliance issues.
Additionally, Mr. Speights is a highly adaptable commercial litigator, capable of handling a wide range of matters for his clients. Whether representing Fortune 500 companies or small family owned businesses, Mr. Speights is a zealous advocate, provides exceptional representation for his clients, and often acquires results beyond even his client’s expectations. Mr. Speights places a high priority on attorney client communication, and works extremely hard to ensure every client is satisfied with his or her legal service.
Mr. Speights is Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a designation earned by less than 0.05% of Texas attorneys, and concentrates a substantial portion of his practice on matters related to the oil and gas industry. Primarily representing clients in the upstream and midstream sectors, Mr. Speights has represented some of the largest oil and gas companies in the world in multimillion-dollar litigation and achieved remarkable results.
Additionally, Mr. Speights prides himself on keeping his clients out of litigation. Mr. Speights’ practice includes advising E&P and midstream companies on contractual items such as production issues, leases, conveyancing, gathering, processing, and other ‘everyday’ items. Mr. Speights has a first-rate record of preventing lawsuits before they ever begin.
Prior to joining FisherBroyles, Mr. Speights was a senior associate at Burleson LLP, a national law firm servicing the world’s largest energy companies. Mr. Speights’ time at Burleson LLP was spent primarily in the practice area of Oil and Gas Litigation, but also included experience in Oilfield Services and Manufacturing, Midstream, Corporate, and Oil and Gas Title.
Lastly, Mr. Speights is an active member of his community, participating in numerous charitable organizations such as the Mercy Project, Houston Volunteer Lawyers, and the Christian Legal Society. Mr. Speights is a two time Ironman, a loving husband, and a doting father of two.
- Keynote Presenter – Setting and Achieving Your Goals – Christian Legal Society (May 2015; Presented on how to properly set your goals to achieve success in multiple avenues of life)
- Contributor – Texas Uniform Trade Secrets Act – (September 2014: The presentation concentrated on TUTSA and recent case law stemming from the new laws.)
- Contributor – Oilfield Anti-Indemnity Provisions – Wortham Property & Casualty Corporate Headquarters (February 2014; Presentation centered around Oilfield Anti-Indemnity Provisions and their effect on insurance agreements).
- Presenter – The Testimony of a Litigation Associate – Christian Legal Society (September 2013; Testimony expressing the inner workings of a Litigation Associate]
- Panel Presenter – Emerging Issues in Energy Litigation – Burleson LLP Fall Seminar – (October, 2013; panel presentation on emerging litigation issues caused by the use of technology.)
- Presenter – Commercial Terms and Conditions – Schlumberger North American Corporate Headquarter (February 2012; Presented on Texas law concerning Company Men, job tickets, and commercial terms).
- Presenter – Indemnities and Non-Competes – Burleson LLP In-house CLE Seminar (February 2012; Presented on Texas Oilfield Indemnities Statutes).
- Landon Speights, Contributor – Worst Case Scenario Happens in Schlumberger v. Rutherford – The Texas Anti-SLAPP Act – (September 2, 2014)
- Landon Speights, Contributor, Why Every Texas Energy Company Should Be Afraid of the Texas Anti-SLAPP Act – (August 18, 2014)
- Landon Speights, Contributor – Oil and Gas Case Law Update – Marcia Fuller French, et al., v. Occidental Permian Ltd. – (July 8, 2014)
- Landon Speights, Author – Texas Eminent Domain and Condemnation Process for Common Carriers – (August 12, 2013)