D: (212) 888-9140
F: (888) 998-1577
New York Office
- Commercial Litigation
- General Corporate
- Intellectual Property – Trademarks & Copyrights
- Litigation — Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Mgmt
- Securities & Private Equity
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y.
- U.S. District & Bankruptcy Courts, District of Columbia
- Howard University School of Law, J.D., merit scholar
- Fordham University School of Law, LL.M., magna cum laude, International Law & Justice
Large Law Firm Experience:
- White & Case, LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel, LLP
I provide executive-level legal counsel to businesses, investors, entrepreneurs, non-profits, and startups, often serving as Chief Legal Counsel of their enterprises. My ultimate goal is to provide actionable, responsive, legal advice that positions clients to achieve their business objectives, and to avoid needless failure. My approach to working with clients is designed to be effective, regardless of their in-house legal capabilities. This approach comes from years of large-firm practice, practical teaching experience, and my own journey as a serial entrepreneur, and it is an approach that makes it flexible for me to serve as acting general counsel, outside counsel supporting an in-house legal team, or on a project basis. In those roles, I typically:
- handle complex litigation, including claims of fraud, embezzlement, commercial torts, copyright and trademark infringement, breach of contract, and sexual harassment;
- advise and represent corporate clients regarding state and federal inquiries on workers’ compensation coverage, worker misclassification issues, wage and hour laws, privacy rights, non-compete agreements, international and domestic trademark and copyright representation and litigation, licensing and asset purchase agreements, and confidentiality agreements; and
- advise and represent clients on corporate formations, restructurings and dissolutions, securities laws compliance, capital raising and investor relations, corporate governance issues, contracts, and in contract negotiations.
At White & Case, I defended public companies and financial institutions against common law fraud claims, civil RICO claims, state and federal securities claims, and in internal investigations. Later, when I joined Schulte Roth & Zabel, I focused my practice on representing hedge funds, publicly listed companies, and private clients, as both subjects and victims in criminal and regulatory investigations on the state and federal level, and in a variety of state and federal litigation arising from commercial and investment disputes, including claims of fraud, securities class actions, and derivative actions.
In 2010, I pursued a longstanding interest in pro bono and human rights work in pursuing a masters of laws (LL.M.) in international law and justice. I then spent the next few years researching, publishing, and lecturing in the United States and abroad on international justice issues, particularly on the intersection of business and human rights law, and on the role of business in peace-building and post-conflict re-development.
- Listed, Top 100 Leading Women Lawyers in New York City, Crain’s New York (2018)
- Listed, Top 25 LGBTQ-owned Business, Washington Business Journal (2017) (prior law practice)
- Ranked #3, Top 10 Black Female Attorneys You Should Know, by Black Enterprise magazine (2016)
Sample Current Corporate Representation (General Counsel Services)
- Acting General Counsel, Doughnut Plant, Inc. and affiliates
- Chief Legal Counsel, Be The Change Revolutions, LLC dba BTC Revolutions
- Acting General Counsel, LyteWorx Automation Systems, Inc.
- Legal Counsel, The Teknique Group, Inc. and affiliates
- Legal Counsel, 85 Broads Unlimited LLC dba Ellevate Network
Prior Corporate Experience
- Chief Legal Counsel, CNS Global Advisors
- Chief Legal Counsel, The Strategy Collective LLC dba BLK BOX
- Co-Founder, 100 Percent Beverages, LLC
- Founder, The KETNOI Group, LLC
Presentations and Teaching Experience
- Visiting Lecturer, Course on Business & Human Rights, Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany
- Inaugural LL.M. Teaching Fellow, Seminar on the Law of Peace & Statebuilding, Fordham University School of Law, New York, USA
- Kiyemba v. Bush, Lead No. 08-5424, United States Supreme Court, as counsel for Amicus Curiae Uyghur American Association (2008).
- Lenore F. Horton, Prosecutorial Discretion Before International Criminal Courts and Perceptions of Justice: How Expanded Prosecutorial Independence Can Increase the Accountability of International Actors, 7(1) Eyes on the ICC (May 2011).
- DOJ Issues New Corporate Prosecution Guidelines, Modifying Approach to Privilege Waivers and Advancement of Legal Fees, SRZ CLIENT ALERT (Dec. 19, 2006) (co-author).
- Pasquantino Inapplicable to Claims by Foreign Governments to Recover Non-US Taxes, WHITE & CASE FINANCIAL SERVICES ADVISORY UPDATE (Dec. 2005) (co-author).
- L. Horton, SEC Revises Policy on Corporate Fines, WHITE & CASE FINANCIAL SERVICES ADVISORY UPDATE (Feb. 2005).