O: (888) 886-1577
D: (212) 888-9140
F: (888) 998-1577
New York Office
Washington D.C. Office
- Commercial Litigation
- General Corporate
- Intellectual Property – Trademark Prosecution
- Litigation — Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Mgmt
- Securities & Private Equity
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y.
- U.S. District & Bankruptcy Courts, District of Columbia
- Howard University School of Law, J.D., merit scholar
- Fordham University School of Law, LL.M., magna cum laude, International Law & Justice)
- Chief Legal Counsel, BTC Revolutions
- Chief Legal Counsel, CNS Global Advisors
- Legal Counsel, The Teknique Group, Inc. and affiliates
- Chief Legal Counsel, BLK BOX fka The Strategy Collective LLC
- Co-Founder, 100 Percent Beverages, LLC
- Founder, The KETNOI Group, LLC
Large Law Firm Experience:
- White & Case, LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel, LLP
I provide executive-level legal counsel to businesses, investors, entrepreneurs, non-profits, and startups, often serving as Chief Legal Counsel of their enterprises. My ultimate goal is to provide actionable, responsive, legal advice that positions clients to achieve their business objectives, and to avoid needless failure. My experience and approach to working with clients is designed to be effective, regardless of their in-house legal capabilities. This experience and approach derives from years of large-firm practice, practical teaching experience, and my own journey as a serial entrepreneur.
As acting general counsel, outside counsel supporting an in-house legal team, or on a project basis, I handle complex litigation, including claims of fraud, embezzlement, commercial torts, copyright and trademark infringement, breach of contract, and sexual harassment; advise and represent corporate clients regarding state and federal inquiries on workers’ compensation coverage, worker misclassification issues, and wage and hour laws, trademark and copyright applications and portfolio management, licensing agreements, privacy rights , computer fraud statutes, confidentiality agreements, and non-compete agreements; and provide advice and training regarding corporate compliance, employment practices, contract negotiation and management, and corporate structuring or restructuring.
Most recently, I founded and ran a firm with offices in New York City and Washington, D.C. serving clients in my current practice areas. In 2016, Black Enterprise magazine listed me as #3 in its national ranking of the Top 10 Black Female Attorneys You Should Know. And in 2017, Washington Business Journal recognized my practice as one of the Top 25 LGBTQ-owned businesses in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, one of only two law practices on the list. During my career, I developed a passion for serial entrepreneurship and angel investing, which provides a unique perspective on the challenges business owners face.
At White & Case, I defended public companies and financial institutions against common law fraud claims, civil RICO claims, state and federal securities claims, and in internal investigations. Later, when I joined Schulte Roth & Zabel, I focused my practice on representing hedge funds, publicly listed companies, and private clients, as both subjects and victims in criminal and regulatory investigations on the state and federal level, and in a variety of state and federal litigation arising from commercial and investment disputes, including claims of fraud, securities class actions, and derivative actions.
In 2010, I pursued a longstanding interest in pro bono and human rights work in pursuing a masters of laws (LL.M.) in international law and justice. I then spent the next few years researching, publishing, and lecturing in the United States and abroad on international justice issues, particularly on the intersection of business and human rights law, and on the role of business in peace-building and post-conflict re-development.
Presentations and Teaching Experience
- Visiting Lecturer, Course on Business & Human Rights, Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany
- Inaugural LL.M. Teaching Fellow, Seminar on the Law of Peace & Statebuilding, Fordham University School of Law, New York, USA
- Kiyemba v. Bush, Lead No. 08-5424, United States Supreme Court, as counsel for Amicus Curiae Uyghur American Association (2008).
- Lenore F. Horton, Prosecutorial Discretion Before International Criminal Courts and Perceptions of Justice: How Expanded Prosecutorial Independence Can Increase the Accountability of International Actors, 7(1) Eyes on the ICC (May 2011).
- DOJ Issues New Corporate Prosecution Guidelines, Modifying Approach to Privilege Waivers and Advancement of Legal Fees, SRZ CLIENT ALERT (Dec. 19, 2006) (co-author).
- Pasquantino Inapplicable to Claims by Foreign Governments to Recover Non-US Taxes, WHITE & CASE FINANCIAL SERVICES ADVISORY UPDATE (Dec. 2005) (co-author).
- L. Horton, SEC Revises Policy on Corporate Fines, WHITE & CASE FINANCIAL SERVICES ADVISORY UPDATE (Feb. 2005).