Ms. Oria has over 18 years of experience in complex commercial business litigation in federal and state courts and arbitration tribunals with a focus in recent years on Financial Services, Insurance and Securities Litigation, including nationwide class and multi-district litigation. She has tried jury and non-jury cases.
Ms. Oria represents domestic and international public and private companies and individual officers and directors in contract-related and business tort disputes; international litigation and arbitration matters involving cross-border parties and issues; insurer side complex insurance coverage and bad faith disputes, including director and officer liability matters; accounting negligence and other professional negligence defense; corporate governance disputes; SEC, Florida Attorney General and other state and federal regulatory investigations; white collar defense matters including civil and criminal RICO actions; securities fraud actions alleging violations of state and federal securities laws; employer side employment-related disputes including employment discrimination matters; litigation involving the worlds of entertainment and sports; first amendment...
- Representative Transactions
- Currently defending a Fortune 500 global motor vehicle rental company in a putative consumer class action pending in Florida federal court attacking the company’s self-insurance business practices. The class representative’s claims include several alleged violations of the Florida Insurance Code, Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA), the Florida Civil RICO statute, and breach of contract.
- Representing a publicly traded property and casualty insurer in a second putative consumer class action pending in federal court in Florida which challenges certain fees and sales taxes charged on insurance products sold by car rental companies at airport counters throughout Florida. The class representative has asserted claims for unjust enrichment, breach of contract, disgorgement and restitution, and violation of Florida’s Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA).
- Recently settled a federal court action on behalf of a Fortune 500 corporation and a global insurance company, thwarting the plaintiffs’ efforts to transform uninsured/underinsured motorist claims into a class action for violations of the Florida Insurance Code.
- Represented a Fortune 100 institutional developer of a high-end condo/hotel in Hawaii in defending claims of fraud, unfair and deceptive practices, negligence and breach of contract that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Successfully represented national bank in multidistrict litigation in the Southern District of Florida related to checking account overdraft fees, negotiating settlement on favorable terms.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice in favor of a leading cruise line in class action litigation involving wage and hour claims by crew members.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice in favor of large alcoholic beverage manufacturer in antitrust litigation alleging federal antitrust and state franchise law violations.
- Favorably settled a breach of contract dispute relating to the Copa America Fútbol tournament where represented a leading sports event marketing and management company.
- Favorably settled accounting malpractice litigation in connection with a failed IPO in which represented one of the six largest accounting firms in the world.
- Successfully represented leading foreign telecommunications company in enforcement of judgment proceedings
- Successfully represented leading affinity marketing company in Florida Attorney General investigations
- Successfully represented leading Northeast real estate brokerage firm in breach of contract/lease disputes
- Successfully represented leading medical/health care product supplier and various other entities in product liability litigation; negotiated settlement on favorable terms
- Successfully represented global pharmaceutical company in commercial litigation, including class action litigation
- Successfully represented entities and individuals in confidential white collar criminal investigations
- Successfully represented entities and individuals in internal investigations, regulatory advice and other corporate compliance matters
- Presentations and Teaching Experience
- Panelist, Super Stars in Trial Mock Trial, Technology in Trial, American Inns of Court, Miami, FL, September 28, 2018
- Speaker, 4th Annual National Diversity Pre-Law Conference and Law Fair 2017, Miami, FL, October 13, 2017
- Moderator, “Bad Faith Nightmares: Recent Trends & Themes In Bad and Extra-Contractual Insurance Litigation,” 2017 Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Convention, Kansas City, MO, September 7, 2017
- Panelist, “Beware of Spoliation: Civil and Criminal Penalties for Destroying Stale Information,” HNBA 2016 Annual Convention, Chicago, IL, September 7-10, 2016
- Moderator, “Don’t Print! Legal Writing & Reading in The Digital Age,” HNBA 2016 Corporate Counsel Conference, Las Vegas, NV, March 16-19, 2016
- Panelist, “The Holy Grail: Pay Gap Increases and Negotiating to Decrease Inequity,” HNBA 2015 Annual Convention, Boston, MA, September 2-5, 2015
- Panelist, “Top Issues Facing Young Hispanic Attorneys,” HNBA 2014 Annual Convention, Washington, DC, September 10-13, 2014
- Professional Associations & Leadership Roles
- The Florida Bar
- Standing Committee on Diversity & Inclusion, 2015-2017
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- National President, Sept. 2019 – present
- National President-Elect, Sept. 2018 – Sept. 2019
- Vice President of Programs, Sept. 2017 – Sept. 2018
- National Finance Director, Sept. 2015 – Sept. 2017
- Regional President, Region VIII (Florida), Sept. 2014 – Sept. 2015
- Member, 1998 – present
- Dade County Bar Association
- Director (Board of Directors), Group 3, June 2018 – present
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Member, 2001 – present
- American Bar Association
- Member, Section of Litigation, 2000 – present
- Member, The Woman Advocate Committee, 2013 – present
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Member, Standing Committee for Local Rules & Procedures, 2015 – present
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, 2012 – present
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- Member, 2008 – present
- Association of Assistant U.S. Attorneys for the Southern District of Florida
- Member, 2007 – present
- American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Sept. 2018 – present
- The Florida Bar
- Professional Recognition
- South Florida Legal Guide’s “Top Lawyers,” 2015-2018
- ABA Collaborative Bar Leadership Academy Fellow, 2015
- “Top Up and Comer” in Commercial Litigation and Financial Litigation, South Florida Legal Guide, 2014-2015
- “40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County” Award, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2013
- 2013 Lawyers of Color “Hot List” (Southern Region)
U.S. District Court for the Southern, Middle and Northern District of Florida
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern and Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Cornell Law School, J.D., 1999
Columbia College of Columbia University, B.A., 1996
Prior Law Firm Experience
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, formerly Hunton & Williams LLP
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP
Lowenstein Sandler LLP
- Antitrust Counseling
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Banking & Financial Services
- Civil Pretrial & Trial Services
- Commercial Litigation
- Entertainment & Sports
- First Amendment
- Intellectual Property
- Internet & E-Commerce
- Litigation & Risk Management
- Professional & Management Liability
- TCPA Practice Group
- White Collar Litigation & Investigations