Joe is a business trial lawyer who represents plaintiffs and defendants in sophisticated commercial disputes. He represents large corporations, small business and individuals before federal and state courts at the trial and appellate levels. Joe employs a practical, results-oriented approach to aggressively pursue his clients’ interests.
Joe’s diverse practice includes experience handling contract and UCC claims; construction disputes and liens; patent, copyright and trademark infringement claims; defamation claims; environmental torts; insurance coverage disputes; post-judgment collection; restrictive covenants; and shareholder and partnership disputes.
Before FisherBroyles, LLP, Joe was a senior associate in Fox Rothschild LLP’s litigation department and an associate in Duane Morris LLP’s trial practice group. At Rutgers School of Law – Camden, Joe was a Dean’s Academic Excellence Scholar and a Merck Patent Fellowship Recipient. Joe also previously worked for one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, developing drug formulations for preclinical studies and phase I clinical trials.
- New Jersey Supreme Court District IIIB Ethics Committee, Member
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2014-2018)
- Representative Cases
- Represented residential developer in litigation filed by condominium association seeking more than $9 million in damages for alleged construction defects. Obtained reimbursement of defense costs as additional insured under tender to subcontractor’s insurer.
- Represented residential developer in litigation filed by condominium association alleging construction defects in several hundred units and damages in excess of $1.5 million. Pursued third-party claims against subcontractors for contribution and indemnification. Obtained reimbursement of majority of defense costs as additional insured under tender to subcontractor’s insurer.
- Represented bank asserting claims against general contractor pursuant to security interest in accounts receivable of subcontractor that defaulted on working capital loan, concerning more than a dozen public construction projects in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Represented subcontractor in seven-figure arbitration dispute concerning installation of broadcast television antenna.
- Represented framing contractor in arbitration against developer concerning work at more than 100 homes across three residential subdivisions.
- Represented the low bidder for a public contract in successful appeal to the New Jersey Supreme Court, which reinstated the contract award. Barrick v. New Jersey, 218 N.J. 247 (2014).
- Represented publicly-traded logistics company during week-long arbitration hearing in post-merger dispute, securing substantial monetary damages and injunctive relief.
- Represented JD2 Environmental in Battle Over JFK Sewage Leak Coverage.
- Represented publisher in insurance coverage lawsuit, resulting in complete recovery of attorneys’ fees incurred to defend class action lawsuit and to pursue lawsuit for insurance coverage.
- Represented manufacturer in defense of antitrust claims under the Robinson-Patman Act.
- Represented numerous generic pharmaceutical companies in various patent litigations under the Hatch-Waxman act.
- Represented publishing company in jury trial involving cross-claims including violations of New Jersey RICO statute, fraud, breach of purchase agreement, and employment discrimination, resulting in favorable settlement mid-trial.
- Represented chemical manufacturer in defense of environmental tort action, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented chemical manufacturer in defense of putative class action alleging environmental torts.
- Represented manufacturer in defense of several related environmental tort actions.
Progress Towards a DNA-based Model System for Studying Electron Spin-Spin Interactions, Chen, X.J., Szklarski, R.A., Tuohy, C., Schramm, J., Skiff, H., Hummel, K., Vacirca, N., Wolf, B. A., and Hirsh, D.J., (2007) Biophysical Chemistry 129 (2-3):148-162
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Rutgers University School of Law – Camden, J.D., Cum Laude
The College of New Jersey, B.S., Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude
Prior Law Firm Experience
Fox Rothschild LLP
Duane Morris LLP