Matthew M. May is an experienced business litigator and first-chair trial lawyer. Matt represents clients ranging Fortune 100 companies to closely held corporations, family businesses, and individuals in a variety of forums and jurisdictions throughout the country. Representing clients across multiple industries, including property developers, financial institutions, and government contractors, Matt has achieved favorable results for his clients in a variety of commercial and business disputes, and places a special emphasis on understanding his clients’ business goals and achieving favorable results in a cost-effective manner.
Matt has extensive experience litigating business torts, shareholder and partnership disputes, trade secrets and restrictive covenant matters, real estate disputes, and government contract matters. Through trials and appeals in state and federal courts across the country, as well as through arbitrations, Matt has achieved judgments in his clients’ favor in dozens of contested trials, evidentiary hearings, and dispositive motions practice. Matt also has significant experience managing and overseeing strategy involving complex discovery is...
- Representative Matters
- Represented resort property developer and manager over ten days of trials in related disputes brought by property owners and members, and obtained judgment in clients’ favor on every cause of action in each case.
- Obtained multiple, emergency temporary restraining orders and preliminary and permanent injunctions on behalf of clients to protect their interests in a variety of contexts, including small business owners, restauranteurs, and property owners.
- Led briefing on behalf of client in responding to over 200 complaints filed with the Maryland Office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, and obtained dismissal of all complaints with no action taken against client.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice for individual client sued by former business partner under various business tort theories, seeking in excess of $5 million, and successfully defended matter on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice on behalf of financial institution and employee sued in connection with alleged business conspiracy, where plaintiffs sought in excess of $500,000 in damages.
- Represented various small- and mid-sized employers in a variety of disputes with former employees. In a recent matter, successfully obtained dismissal with prejudice on behalf of client in a dispute brought by former consultant who alleged breach of employment-related agreement and sought in excess of $500,000 in damages.
- Represented commercial landlords, property developers, and commercial tenants in a variety of lease disputes from pre-litigation demands through dispositive motions hearings and trials; obtained multiple six-figure judgments and substantial attorneys’ fees awards on behalf of clients, and led post-judgment enforcement efforts.
U.S. District Court, D.Md.
U.S. District Court, N.D.Ill.
*Awaiting admission to the DC bar.
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2013
Washington & Lee University, B.A., 2010
Prior Law Firm Experience
Miles & Stockbridge P.C.