Tarun Chandran’s practice focuses on representing a variety of clients in commercial real estate transactions (including acquisitions, dispositions, real estate-secured financing and commercial leasing transactions) and on representing nonprofits in affordable housing-oriented real estate transactions.
Tarun has more than a decade of experience negotiating commercial leases and real estate licenses on behalf of both landlords and tenants, including office, retail and industrial leases. He has negotiated leases for businesses ranging from wind farms to movie theaters to big box retail stores. He has counseled clients on the assumption and rejection of leases in bankruptcy and has represented both landlords and tenants in sale-leaseback and other complex leasing transactions.
Tarun has represented both borrowers and lenders in real estate-secured financing and refinancing transactions, including loans secured by leasehold mortgages and in bond financing transactions.
In addition to his work on general commercial real estate, leasing and lending matters, Tarun advises nonprofit foundations in connection with affordable housing-oriented real estate transactions,...
- Representative Transactions
- Represented nonprofit foundation in its acquisition of four low-income multifamily housing assets and in the approximately $19MM bonding financing related to that acquisition
- Represented nonprofit foundation in its acquisition of twelve low-income multifamily housing assets in two states and in the $70MM bond financing related to that acquisition
- Represented private equity firm in its disposition of a portfolio of net leased assets, with transactions to date totaling $200MM
- Represented owners of office buildings in the San Francisco Bay area market in the leasing of approximately 250,000 square feet of office space utilizing a variety of lease types
- Represented developer of New Mexico retail centers in leasing of approximately 150,000 square feet of retail space to national mid-box retail chains and to numerous small-box tenants
University of Michigan Law School; JD, 2003
University of Michigan; B.A., cum laude, 2000
Prior Law Firm Experience
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Paul Hastings LLP