Mr. Akin serves as co-chair of the firm’s Products Liability Litigation and Counseling Practice Group.
Mr. Akins is a trial lawyer. He represents clients in a wide range of industries, including business disputes, class actions, and consumer litigation. Mr. Akins employs skills developed while working for federal judges to identify and assess each case’s critical strengths and weaknesses, leading to early strategic plans. He also brings an appellate background to trial practice, having handled numerous appeals and oral arguments, including successfully arguing before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Mr. Akins partners with clients to establish litigation campaigns that are consistent with the clients’ overall business objectives. Case results are unique, and often provide the chance to narrowly tailor results to suit clients’ ongoing business goals. Litigation also frequently provides opportunities for addressing risks and crafting and implementing plans to minimize future exposure.
He has successfully represented public and private companies. He has represented companies faced with potential liability exceeding $1 billion. He rep...
- Clerkship Experience
United States District Court, Magistrate Judge Irma C. Ramirez – Law Clerk, 2002 – 2004
- Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers, Texas Rising Star (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Texas Super Lawyers for Professional Liability – Defense (2014, 2015)
- New Amendments and Additions to the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure (2012)
- Changes to Regulations Governing Federal Removal and Venue (2012)
William J. Akins
Partner | Co-Chair Products Liability Litigation & Counseling
U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
Dedman School of Law, Southern Methodist University; J.D., 2002
University of Texas at Arlington; B.B.A., Finance and Economics, 1999
Prior Law Firm Experience
Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker, LLP
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Banking & Financial Services
- Entertainment & Sports
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Intellectual Property
- Civil Pretrial & Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- Political Law & Litigation
- TCPA Practice Group
- Professional & Management Liability
- Products Liability Litigation & Counseling