William is a go-to trial lawyer and the Co-Chair of two practice groups: Products Liability Litigation and Counseling and Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
As a strategist and accomplished advocate, he has first-chair and second-chair success in trial and arbitration, drawing on his 20 years of litigation and appellate practice in state and federal courts throughout the nation.
With billions of dollars at stake, he has represented private and public companies on the plaintiff and defense sides, navigating to successful resolution through verdict or settlement, including class action settlements and judgments in complex business disputes in many states.
Recent results include defeating a multi-million dollar dispute for a public company in confidential arbitration, obtaining summary judgment in favor of a family business in a bet-the-company case, and multiple confidential settlements for millions of dollars.
He regularly represents an international company in numerous claims and lawsuits. He has represented the world’s third-largest aircraft manufacturer concerning sales of multi-million dollar jet aircraft and international product manufacturers in...
- Clerkship Experience
United States District Court, Magistrate Judge Irma C. Ramirez – Law Clerk, 2002 – 2004
- Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers, Texas Rising Star (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Texas Super Lawyers for Professional Liability – Defense (2014, 2015)
- New Amendments and Additions to the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure (2012)
- Changes to Regulations Governing Federal Removal and Venue (2012)
William J. Akins
Partner | Co-Chair Products Liability Litigation & Counseling
U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
Dedman School of Law, Southern Methodist University; J.D., 2002
University of Texas at Arlington; B.B.A., Finance and Economics, 1999
Prior Law Firm Experience
Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker, LLP
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Banking & Financial Services
- Entertainment & Sports
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Civil Pretrial & Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- Political Law & Litigation
- TCPA Practice Group
- Professional & Management Liability
- Products Liability Litigation & Counseling