Ms. Rodríguez Pérez principally assists clients, including states and state-owned entities, on complex international arbitrations primarily in Latin America. Those matters include representing clients’ interests before the International Chamber of Commerce, the American Arbitration Association, the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, and post-arbitration proceedings in federal court in the U.S. Ms. Rodríguez Pérez also represents private companies with interests in the U.S. and abroad primarily in the energy industry.
As a native Spanish speaker and a licensed Spanish and Florida attorney, Ms. Rodríguez Pérez routinely practices in both English as well as Spanish in formal and informal legal writing. Ms. Rodríguez Pérez has traveled extensively throughout Latin America to represent her clients which has allowed her to understand and be familiar with the traditions, customs, and political landscape of that region.
Ms. Rodríguez Pérez has always been heavily involved with The Florida Bar. First, in her role as Chair of the Foreign Legal Consultants Committee she drafted the amendments to Chapter 16 of The Florida Bar Rules, which regulates...
- Representative Transactions
- Represented a Central American country in a US $100 million investment arbitration dispute related to the expropriation of real estate assets for an ecotourism project from initial investigation to post hearing briefs, including traveling to the site with the experts which lead to the discovery of key information favorable to the case.
- Represented a Latin American country in a US $750 million investment arbitration dispute related to a mining concession.
- Represented a Central American country in a US $100 million investment arbitration dispute related to the expropriation of a trading house in violation of securities law.
- Represented a major South American oil company in federal court proceedings involving the enforcement of a US $465 million arbitration award.
- Represented a Venezuelan state-owned oil company in a US $90 million litigation dispute in federal court in Miami.
- Represented a South American client in the negotiation of an oil and specific services contract as well as complex ancillary agreements (US $4.9 billion) with multiple government agencies in a transaction selected as the Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer magazine as the largest investment in the upstream sector in that country.
- Represent Latin American clients in cross-border transactions and contract negotiations.
- Review compliance programs and company policies for U.S. clients to minimize risk and prepare for potential audits and investigations.
- Advised on Cuban law and related issues for multinational companies doing business in Cuba.
- Presentations & Teaching Experience
- 2022: Speaker on a seminar titled “Potential Venues for Recovery of Damages Caused by Russian Aggression in Ukraine.”
- 2021: Speaker on a panel titled “The use of discovery in international commercial arbitration.” University of Miami School of Law, Miami, Florida.
- 2021: Speaker on a panel titled “Charla de los Capítulos del CEA sobre el Código de Buenas Prácticas Arbitrales del Club Español de Arbitraje.”
- 2019: Led session titled “International Commercial Arbitration from the U.S. Perspective.” Florida International University School of Law, Miami, Florida.
- 2019: Speaker on a panel titled “Big Law and International Arbitration.” University of Miami School of Law, Miami, Florida.
- 2019: Speaker on a panel titled “Investment Arbitration and Contracting with the State.” Costa Rican Bar Association, San José, Costa Rica.
- 2018: Led session titled “Rise of International Arbitration in the United States and Beyond, A Motion to Compel Arbitration Agreements.” Florida International University School of Law, Miami, Florida.
- 2017: Speaker on a panel titled “Challenges of Working in Big Law.” Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York.
- 2017: Speaker on a panel titled “How can my client invest in Cuba and what can we do if it becomes an ‘arroz con mango.’” iLaw 2017 Conference, Miami, Florida.
- 2016: Participated in the International Arbitration Masters Series “How to Persuade a Tribunal” discussing the most effective strategies to employ when cross-examining witnesses in international arbitration. Miami International Arbitration Society, Miami, Florida.
- 2016 and 2017: Lectured on “The Regulation of Foreign Lawyers in the United States and the Foreign Legal Consultant Program of The Florida Bar.” Florida International University School of Law, Miami, Florida.
- “The Development of the Cuba-United states relationship,” international Law Quarterly, Florida Bar, Special Cuba Edition (Fall 2016, vol. XXXII, no.3).
District of Columbia
Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, 2010
University of Barcelona, School of Law, 2008
Prior Law Firm Experience
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Shutts & Bowen LLP