Sara J. Bass
T: (919) 423-8323
- Litigation – Appellate
- Litigation – Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- North Carolina (pending)
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill; J.D., with Honors, 2004
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill; Bachelor of Arts in English with Honors, 2000
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
Ms. Bass practices in the areas of employment law, employment counseling, and litigation. She has successfully represented employers and management on a wide variety of single and multi-plaintiff actions brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII); the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA); the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); and the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Ms. Bass has also defended employers on state court claims alleging defamation, negligent retention, breach of non-compete and employment agreements, and theft of trade secrets.
As a litigator, Ms. Bass has extensive experience in every stage of the litigation process from investigating employee complaints, responding to Charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), representing employers at EEOC onsite investigations and mediations, and successfully defending employers in federal and state court.
Ms. Bass also counsels businesses in virtually every aspect of employment law including the drafting and enforcement of employment and non-compete agreements, best hiring practices, back ground checks, employee handbooks, human resources policies, disciplinary and termination proceedings, internal investigations, and disability and accommodation issues. Ms. Bass also conducts employment audits and management training on discrimination, harassment, and Human Resources issues.
Presentations & Teaching Experience
- Employer Liability for Supervisors’ Conduct and Proving Retaliation Under Title VII, Duane Morris Institute Webinar, July 2013
- Don’t Let Hasty Documentation Sink Your Case: How to Make Your Documentation Work For You, Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), Columbus Chapter, October 2012
- Recent Developments Under the FCRA, GINA, and EEOC Guidelines on Criminal Background Checks, Mannington Mills, Inc. Human Resources Symposium, July 2012
- Recent Developments Under the NLRB and Title VII Retaliation Expansion, Mannington Mills, Inc., Human Resources Symposium, July 2011.