Stephen L. Neal, Jr.
Direct: (703) 501-5366
Washington, DC Office
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation – Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1993
- Duke University, A.B., 1989
- University of Virginia Trial Advocacy Institute, 2004
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
Strategic legal counsel with intellectual versatility, precise execution, exceptional ability to measure risk, and strong team leadership, according to an advanced leadership analysis used by Fortune 500 companies worldwide. Preeminent AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review 2016-17.
Mr. Neal is a highly skilled litigator whose practice primarily focuses on complex civil and commercial litigation and RICO cases. Mr. Neal has a broad range of experience handling contract, business and other tort, fraud, RICO, computer crimes/unlawful surveillance, FTC enforcement, investigations, employment, intellectual property, fee petitions, and administrative actions before state and federal trial and appellate courts and arbitration panels. Mr. Neal is experienced in all phases of litigation, including pre-litigation counseling and strategic advice, pleadings, discovery, law and motion practice, injunctions, evidentiary hearings, trials, arbitrations, appeals, and complex settlements. Mr. Neal performs these services for individual and corporate clients across the country.
Prior to joining FisherBroyles, LLP, Mr. Neal was a law clerk to a Chief Judge and partner with DiMuroGinsberg, P.C. and Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, a national law firm, working in the Washington, DC and Los Angeles, California offices. While at Manatt, Mr. Neal had extensive involvement in firm governance, including the recruiting committee, the associate committee, the firm professional resources committee (with emphasis on associate and partner hiring), the intake committee, the firm management committee (as an associate), and the summer associate committee.
Mr. Neal is admitted to the North Carolina Supreme Court, the Virginia Supreme Court, and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals; United States District Courts for the District of Columbia, North Carolina, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, Maryland, and the Western District of Michigan; United States Court of Federal Claims; United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits; and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Lead counsel in defense of RICO action based on alleged immigration fraud in the Eastern District of Virginia. Obtained dismissal of all RICO claims at the pleadings stage.
- Co-counsel in defense of high-profile, multi-million dollar RICO action in the Southern District of New York. Obtained judgment as to RICO, fraud, and other claims. Co-counsel on the appeal before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead counsel in defense of RICO action based upon fraud in the Eastern District of Virginia. Obtained dismissal of all RICO claims at the pleadings stage.
- Counsel in two RICO actions in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Lead counsel in the defense of the largest fee petition filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Lead counsel in the defense of § 1983 action. Obtained dismissal of all § 1983 claims at the pleadings stage. Lead counsel on appeal before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead counsel for established record producer in action to obtain royalties for the song Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head from the Forrest Gump soundtrack. After trial with lay and expert witnesses, obtained judgment for all royalties owed and the attorneys’ fees and costs incurred. As lead appellate counsel, successfully defended appeal before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead counsel in defense of multi-million dollar Federal Trade Commission enforcement action. After months of intense litigation, negotiated very favorable settlement and, after extensive briefing and several days of evidentiary hearings, obtained ruling of first impression that the court-appointed Receiver breached his fiduciary duty. As lead appellate counsel, obtained affirmance of all district court rulings before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Neal also served as counsel on other Federal Trade Commission enforcement actions.
- Lead counsel in the prosecution of various computer crimes cases pursuant to the Federal Wiretap Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Electronic Storage Act, and state computer crimes laws.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of numerous employment discrimination actions at the district court level and on appeal.
- Lead counsel on behalf of the estate of a September 11th victim in proceeding before the Victim’s Compensation Fund. After evidentiary hearing with lay and expert witnesses, obtained award that was almost twice the presumptive limit under the governing guidelines.
- Lead counsel in prosecution of real estate/loan transactions. Obtained million plus dollar judgments against various defendants and all attorneys’ fees and costs incurred. Lead counsel on appeal before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
- Lead counsel in contempt proceedings against former Chief Administrative Law Judge. Obtained finding of contempt and imposition of sanctions. Lead counsel on appeal before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals which affirmed these rulings.
- Lead counsel in defense of breach of contract action against financial institution. Obtained dismissal of action and all attorneys’ fees and costs incurred.
- Co-counsel in defense of injunctive action brought against trade association. Obtained denial of motion, dismissal of action, and all attorneys’ fees and costs incurred.
- Lead counsel in defense of breach of contract and tort claims against passenger railroad. Obtained dismissal of action and appeal before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead counsel in prosecution of action on behalf of passenger railroad against public oil company. After obtaining dismissal of all counterclaims, negotiated very favorable settlement.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of several actions against public radio company.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of $60 million action against HMO.
- Co-counsel in successful prosecution of products liability cases involving exploding rims on a snow-blower.
- Lead counsel in successful prosecution of misappropriation of trade secrets case in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Lead counsel on behalf of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP on numerous firm matters.
Professional Memberships, Honors, and Awards
- Arbitrator for the District of Columbia Bar’s Attorney-Client Arbitration Board for 17 years.
- Litigation Section, North Carolina and District of Columbia Bars.
- North Carolina Bar Association.
- Duke and UNC Alumni Associations.
- Ducks Unlimited.
- Alexandria Businessman’s Club.
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Association of Trial Lawyers of America for the successful prosecution of case on behalf of the estate of a September 11th victim before the Victim’s Compensation Fund.
- Distinguished Service Awards from the District of Columbia Bar’s Attorney-Client Arbitration Board.
- Preeminent AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review 2016-17.
Many of Mr. Neal’s cases have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Legal Times, the National Law Journal, and numerous other publications.