Mr. Schaffer focuses his practice on IP counseling, patent prosecution, pre-litigation infringement and validity analyses, technology licensing and due diligence with an emphasis in the areas of telecommunications, power electronics, semiconductors, electronics packaging, advanced materials, thermal management, mechanics, and software.
Mr. Schaffer represents a broad range of companies ranging in size from one of the Fortune 5 companies to sole-proprietorships. With Mr. Schaffer’s extensive hands-on engineering experience he’s able to rapidly understand client’s inventions as well as the value of the invention to the business and provide judicious advice.
Mr. Schaffer also does significant pro bono work. Mr. Schaffer is a Panel Attorney for the California Lawyers for the Arts program which assists financially under-resourced independent inventors and small businesses. Mr. Schaffer also works with the San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program to secure guardianship for minors and children who do not have an able parent.
Mr. Schaffer was recognized as a San Diego “Rising Star” in 2022 and 2023 for Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Representative Transactions
- Filed and successfully prosecuted over 1000 patents in the United States and in numerous foreign countries including China, Japan, Korea, India, Taiwan, India, Denmark, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Mexico, Canada and Australia.
- Developed and managed a successful portfolio for a client’s key product that included a single patent family having over 150 patents distributed across thirteen countries.
- Represented a publicly traded semiconductor company in a cross-licensing negotiation with one of the ten largest semiconductor companies in the world.
- Represented a publicly traded semiconductor company in a licensing negotiation with a research university.
- Litigation Counsel for a Fortune 50 company in a patent infringement litigation in the Western District of Texas. The suit involved six patents related to wireless charging.
- Litigation Counsel for a Fortune 50 company in a patent infringement litigation in the Northern District of California. The suit involved three patents related to charging portable electronic devices.
- Litigation Counsel for a mid-size company in a patent infringement litigation in the Central District of California. The suit involved one patent related to computer software interfacing with an electronic device.
- Presentations & Teaching
- California Layers for the Arts, Panel Attorney
- Virginia Tech Center for Power Electronics Systems Steering Committee, Technical Director
- National Technical Committee for International Conference on MCM’s and High Density Packaging (IEEE, IMAPS, CPMT), Member
- Thermal Management Session, International Conference on MCM’s and High Density Packaging (IEEE, IMAPS, CPMT), Chairman
- Thermal Management Session, ISHM Advanced Packaging Technology Workshop, Chairman
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association (SDIPLA), Member
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (2023)
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (2022)
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (2008)
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., (2012)
School of Mines and Technology B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 1994
University of Southern California M.S. Materials Science, 2001, Hughes Fellowship Recipient
California State University M.S. Mechanical Engineering, 2002
Prior Law Firm Experience
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP