Trent D. Stephens’s practice primarily involves litigation of product liability and personal injury disputes as well as complex commercial matters related to construction defects, business torts, real estate and contract disputes. His practice also focuses on resolving a variety of disputes related to the transportation and logistics industry, as well as assisting clients with resolution of consumer products claims involving property damage and personal injury.
Trent has first chair trial experience in both state and federal courts. He also counsels clients through arbitration and appeal, and has represented clients before various appellate courts and the Texas Supreme Court. Thomson Reuters has named Trent a Rising Star on six occasions and H Texas Magazine has also recognized him as a Top Lawyer. Trent also has a Texas real estate sales agent license.
- Representative Matters
- National products liability counsel for products manufacturer.
- Favorable nominal settlement for product manufacturer whose product allegedly caused multi-million dollar loss in building fire.
- Favorable settlement for refinery operator after contractor allegedly suffered exposure to caustic soda, causing permanent eye and respiratory injuries.
- Summary judgment for trucking company, resolving personal injury claims brought by motorist struck by trucking company’s independent contractor.
- Favorable settlement for product manufacturer of scaffold component that allegedly failed, causing plaintiff to fall over 100 feet from oil platform.
- Favorable settlement for chemical plant operator after alleged exposure to chemical release at plant caused contractors’ chemical burns and severe injuries.
- Dismissal of lawsuit against financial institution for wrongful foreclosure.
- Favorable settlement of wrongful death lawsuit against hospital.
- Obtained temporary restraining order against former marketing director in favor of doctor and medical group.
- Favorable settlement for subcontractor whose employee fell from scaffold and sustained significant injuries.
- Dismissal of tax claims against nonprofit organization.
- Nominal settlement of claims for driver and his employer arising from automobile accident.
- Successful arbitration of business dispute between medical partnership members.
- Favorable settlement for driver of fully loaded cement mixer that overturned onto plaintiffs’ vehicle, causing injuries to mother and infant child.
- Recovery for financial institution in commercial lease litigation.
- Favorable settlement for employer of decedent involved in construction accident.
- Favorable jury verdict in real estate dispute.
- $850,000 jury verdict against agent of construction company arising from catastrophic accident.
- Summary judgment for defendant in personal injury litigation involving plaintiff who allegedly fell into open hole dug by defendant and claimed defendant was negligent in failing to barricade and warn of hole; trial court agreed that defendant did not owe plaintiff a duty.
- Nominal settlement for assisted living facility in medical malpractice litigation involving the death of a plaintiff who was allegedly administered his wife’s medication.
- Voluntary dismissal of claims against company whose vehicle was allegedly involved in hit and run accident.
- Favorable settlement for engineer in construction defect litigation involving allegations that engineer’s plans for several residential structures were substandard, which required total replacement of structures’ exteriors.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and injunction against company wrongfully attempting to draw on client’s letter of credit.
- Obtained favorable settlement for doctor in medical malpractice litigation involving allegations that doctor failed to adequately administer oxygen, which resulted in plaintiff’s death.
- Obtained temporary restraining order against company wrongfully attempting to exercise judgment against client.
- Favorable settlement for product manufacturer in construction defect litigation involving allegations that EIFS siding product was defectively designed, which resulted in cracks and other construction defects.
- Voluntary dismissal of claims against product manufacturer whose product allegedly caused permanent and irreparable damage to residential structure.
- Favorable settlement for defendant in premises liability litigation involving allegations that restaurant design and lighting caused plaintiff’s injury, which required her to undergo multiple back surgeries.
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Baylor Law School, J.D., 1998, Order of Barristers
Houston Baptist University, B.A. Economics & French, 1995, Cum Laude
Prior Law Firm Experience
Strasburger & Price, LLP
Haynes and Boone, LLP